Friday, December 6, 2019

Thoughts on 5* New TV Shows

1. Unbelievable - An absolutely heartbreaking story, with phenomenal performances from all three women - Merritt Wever, Toni Collette, and Kaitlyn Dever. The biggest success, I think, is that it's a story that is really handled with a deep care for women, and the experience of being raped. It's such a tough thing to get right. I am a certified Rape Crisis Counselor (although I'm pretty sure my certification has expired by now...), and the emotional stress of attaining the certification was so draining. To hear what women have to go through after they just experienced a violation to their body is just...indescribably heartbreaking. Not only do they have to relive the experience in order to describe it to the authorities (over and over again, especially if it ends up in court - and that's a big if), but then they have to experience another violation via rape kit at the hospital. I completely understand and sympathize with any woman who just gives up. Also, trauma fucks with your mind, and your memories - you begin to question what is real and what you might remember incorrectly. The first episode of this limited series is just so hard to watch because it's understandable why the police question her, and why they start to think she might be lying. The contrast to how the female detectives handle rape cases is really fascinating and I wonder if that's the answer? As much as I like to "equate" the sexes, there are fundamental differences between men and women - and sometimes that needs to be recognized and used to our advantage...you know? Anyway, this show is incredible. The end.

2. Batwoman - Just fucking kill me. I mean, this shit is just terrible and now I'm stuck watching another fucking dumb CW show. The biggest issue that I have is that, at the very least, all of the other CW superhero shows had a GREAT first season (and Arrow didn't turn to shit until season 4, if I'm remembering correctly), but this is terrible from the start, and it's likely only downhill from here. The acting is just so wooden and disappointing. I really like Ruby Rose, but I guess I haven't really seen her act well since Orange is the New Black, and maybe she was only good because the writing is so strong on that show (even until the very end - every character is just so well-developed). I just think she's miscast here - originally because I thought she was was just too good for shit like this, but now I think she's just too serious - and not likeable at all (and you are supposed to like her, she's a fuckin' superhero for fuck sake). The plot isn't half-bad, but if you don't have characters that are interesting, then there is no point.

3. Dublin Murders - I've only seen the first episode, so far, and I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for a little bit more of The Killing, but it's even slower than that (I didn't think that was possible, and I love The Killing, for the record). I did like the twist at the end, it makes the whole case a little bit more psychological. It makes me want to continue watching, which if the twist didn't exist, I probably would not want to sit through any more of it. I'm hoping it gets better (I saw SO many people talking about it on twitter, but as of right now, I just don't get it).

4. Treadstone - I've watched four episodes, and they were all pretty solid. I think they are introducing too many characters and storylines at once, but I'm hoping it all comes together cohesively. I'm a big fan of the Bourne movies (like, really, really big fan. I prefer them over Bond any day), so this show is a perfect extension of that universe. The only storylines I'm really interested in right now are the guy that was working in Alaska, the past storyline with Petra and that guy that looks like Ryan Phillippe (not quite as hot, because no-one is), and the Piano teacher girl. The other storylines are a little dull, and/or the acting is bad (the girl who plays the journalist is terrible, and unfortunately she has a major storyline for now).

5. His Dark Materials - Oh my God, this is some boring-ass storytelling. How I made it through the first episode, I'll never know (James McAvoy helped tremendously). I think the girl is a great actress - I don't know her from anything aside from Logan but she is stunning in that (even with very little dialogue), so overall the cast in this is fantastic. But the story is just.....blah. It's just not really my thing, I guess, because I know it has some serious fans but it's just so slow, and predictable, and mind-numbing. I'm dreading watching any more of it.

*I have not yet watched any episodes of Watchmen, but I AM EXCITED by all the rave reviews...*

No comments:

Post a Comment