Friday, August 17, 2018

Fall Movie Preview: 17 Films That I'm Excited About

1. Peppermint (9.7) - FINALLY Jennifer Garner is back! She hasn't actually gone away, but I'm so sick of her doing cutesy, side-roles. This seems like the perfect role for her - a woman seeking revenge for the murder of her husband and daughter. I can't wait for Jen to kick some murderous ass.

2. A Simple Favor (9.14) - I'm intrigued by Blake Lively. She's given some strong performances (The Town, The Shallows). Her and Anna Kendrick in a "Hitchcockian comic thriller" directed by Paul Feig definitely has my interest.

3. Hold the Dark (9.28) - While I wasn't as obsessed with Green Room as everyone else, I still found it interesting. Jeremy Saulnier is definitely perfecting the slow-burn genre, so I'm interested in his next project. Also, I really liked Riley Keough in Logan Lucky. I want to see more of her.

4. A Star is Born (10.5) - I thought this movie was a joke when it was first announced. Then when I realized it was real, I thought "oh Bradley, WHAT are you thinking?!". Then the trailer came out and now it's all I can think about. It's going to be a HUGE movie. Like Oscar nominated and everything. I should never doubt my Bradley.

5. First Man (10.12) - And speaking of Oscars...Can you imagine being 33 years old and having your first 3 feature films nominated for Oscars? I'm already assuming this will be because it has Oscar written all over it. Also, I didn't know Chazelle wrote the screenplay for 10 Cloverfield Lane! What a talented guy.

6. Bad Times at the El Royale (10.12) - This movie looks like a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of Drew Goddard. I like the vibe of the trailer, and the cast is ridiculous.

7. The Hate U Give (10.19) - I'm a big believer in films as a highlighter for social injustices - films can change the world. Police brutality and racial tensions (and to be blunt - unarmed black people being shot by police) is a huge issue in our country right now, and I'm not sure how to get through to people who claim "all lives matter" (fucking duh!), but a film can't hurt.

8. Halloween (10.19) - Does this really need an explanation? I can't believe the first Halloween came out 40 years ago.

9. Suspiria (11.2) - I know this makes me a terrible cinephile, but I've never seen the original Suspiria. I should probably watch it before this remake. I kind of only want to see this because so many film geeks are upset by it. Oh and Tilda Swinton.

10. Bohemian Rhapsody (11.2) - How great is the casting of Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury? I can't wait to see how awesome he is. It's weird that they still list Bryan Singer as the director. I assume that he had most of it finished before he got fired?

11. Boy Erased (11.2) - The cast is great - Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crow and Joel Edgerton. Directed by Edgerton based on the memoirs of Garrard Conley - a boy sent to a gay conversion therapy camp. It's going to be a hard watch, but another necessary story.

12. The Girl in the Spider's Web (11.9) - I wasn't a big fan of Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I'm ok with him stepping away from the series. I'm also interested in Claire Foy as Lisbeth Salander because that is such a "what the fuck" casting, but I have a feeling she is going to kill it.

13. Widows (11.16) - Steve McQueen is doing a heist movie?? Um, ok. I'll obviously watch it.

14. Robin Hood (11.21) - I'm not a big fan of the many reincarnations of Robin Hood, but Taron Egerton is so hot, so I will watch this. *shrugs shoulders*

15. Ralph Breaks the Internet (11.21) - Wreck-It Ralph was super cute, so I'll watch the sequel (although I'm really waiting for a sequel to Big Hero 6). The whole Disney princess thing was a great marketing tool.

16. Green Book (11.21) - All I needed was that image of Mahershala Ali and Viggo Morensen in that old-fashioned green car from the 60s. It's just perfect.

17. The Favourite (11.23) - First, Yorgos Lanthimos. Second, it stars Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone AND Olivia Colman. That's like the Holy Trinity of actresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment