Friday, July 13, 2018

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good 

- Could this be the year that The Americans finally has some presence at the Emmy awards? While it's received some nominations in the past, it's never been nominated for Series (which is shocking). I think it might pull an upset and win this year! I'm really pulling for Keri Russell (especially since her main competition was NOT nominated...). Although I didn't realize that Tatiana Maslany was still in the running - It seems like Orphan Black ended years ago!

- Other shows that seem like their seasons were more than a year ago - GLOW and Better Things (both would have been included in my Best of TV post but I didn't realize they qualified for this year). GLOW was great - fun, heartwarming, easy to binge, and well-written. I'm happy that Betty Gilpin was recognized. Better Things is one of my favorite shows! The second season was even better than the first, and that final episode with the dance number made my heart soar. Pamela Adlon deserves every award ever.

- YAY for Netflix! 112 nominations! That's so crazy. I'm a big fan of whatever Netflix does.

- I wasn't in love with season 2 of Atlanta as much as I was with the first season, but two episodes really stood out (and no, it wasn't "Teddy Perkins" for me). "Woods" and "FUBU" are just about perfect. Brian Tyree Henry is so good in "Woods", I almost cried. How were these episodes not nominated for writing??? (although "FUBU" was nominated for directing, which is well-deserved). I'm also happy that Zazie Beets was nominated - she's my favorite on the show.

-Yay for Darren Criss!! He's so good as Andrew Cunanan. I think he might actually win?? His competition isn't very strong - although awards shows do love to shower Benedict Cumberbatch with awards. UGH.

- Of course I'm happy for The Crown, Westworld, This is Us, Stranger Things, but those were all 'expected' nominations.

The Bad 

- I'm sorry, The Sinner was a "good" show (not great, and not award-worthy), but Jessica Biel is one of the worst actresses of my generation. She wasn't awful here, but a freakin' Emmy nomination??? For real?

- Why the fuck would Ozark show up on any awards show list? That show had some great moments, but overall is very mediocre compared to the competition. I'm ok with Bateman getting a nomination (although I would have chosen J.K. Simmons in Counterpart over him), but the show received TWO, I repeat TWO, directing nominations. FOR WHAT EXACTLY? I don't understand.

- I know everyone suddenly hates Modern Family now, but I don't. It's still consistently funny and that's hard to do after so many seasons. After 8 consecutive nominations and 5 wins, it's finally fallen and it makes me sad.

- How SNL is receiving so much love is beyond me. I haven't enjoyed it since the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler days. I don't know anyone who watches it. When I told my boyfriend that Kenan Thompson was nominated for an Emmy, he replied "The guy from Kenan and Kel?" Because that's how he's still known, even though he's been on SNL for 15 years.

The Snubbed 

- How is Killing Eve not nominated? Even more shocking - Jodie Comer isn't nominated??? I thought I was reading it wrong when I went through the list. I assumed she would be as Lead Actress in a Drama, but then when her name was missing, I thought maybe she submitted herself as Supporting Actress in a Drama, then I figured maybe the show decided to call themselves a "mini-series" or something. But her name is NOWHERE on the nomination list. It's the best performance of the year. HANDS DOWN.

- I'v recently watched the show Counterpart (which is why you haven't seen me rave about it before bc now I will be going on and on about it for months). It's soooooo good. And it's J.K. Simmons in two versions of the same person! I know it's not really on anyone's radar, so I wasn't expecting nominations, but the question is why? There are just too many shows. And too many good ones. If this show came out even just 5 years ago, it would be all anyone talked about.

- Nothing for Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I know the competition is tough but take away the nominations for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (which I like) and give them to Brooklyn Nine-Nine  - it is far superior.

- While Netflix dominated, the one show I expected to show up more was Mindhunter! I thought Holt McCallany would definitely be nominated, along with some writing or directing nods? (But sure, let's nominate Ozark lol).

- Alison Brie is what made GLOW great. What a fuck up. Seriously.

- I know no-one talks about it, but I would have loved for Dan Levy to get a nomination for Schitt's Creek. It's my favorite comedic performance of last year (and yes, that includes Andre Braugher from Brooklyn Nine-Nine, who is usually my favorite).

No comments:

Post a Comment