Friday, June 8, 2018

3 Thoughts on Avengers: Infinity War


**Spoilers**

1. "Oh, we're using our made up names. Um...I'm Spider-Man, then" - Even after all of the mostly positive reviews, I honestly thought this movie was going to be an absolute mess. There's just too many characters. Just look at that poster! There are more than a dozen characters featured! But I admit, they did a fantastic job making it all cohesive. I think it works so much because they put the right characters together. They obviously had to break everyone up and tell separate storylines, and that's where I thought it would feel too jumbled and rushed. But the characters really make it work. I love all the character introductions to each other, the little jabs at each other, the slight distrust among them. Also, it was necessary for a few characters to be missing - but cutting out Hawkeye? Really? That hurts.

2. "Only if I die" - If you told me that Thor was the highlight of an Avengers movie, I would laugh in your face. And yet, here we are. This movie definitely helps make Thor: Ragnarok fit into the universe - it felt so different than the previous Thor movies, but definitely in the same atmosphere as the Guardians movies. So, it's fitting that their storylines converge. And it's also WONDERFUL. Chris Hemsworth has come a loooong way. I actually liked Thor in this. His lines didn't come across as cheesy as the previous efforts and (again) he looks a million times better with short hair (as ALL men do). The only thing I didn't like is that they turned Star-Lord into a complete dick. He was always a bit of a dick, but a lovable one. The way he gets all jealous and territorial, though, is really unnecessary. It doesn't help that he is also responsible for killing off half the universe. LOL.

3. "I don't feel so good" - So Marvel has been teasing us with death since the beginning. It was all leading to this. I expected someone big to die; someone that I actually care about. I managed to stay away from spoilers but I knew that Hawkeye was not featured in any promotion for the film, but his death was already teased in Age of Ultron and it didn't happen so I figured they wouldn't try that again. I also saw a ton of people saying that they were sad (some literally cried. Can you even imagine?) over the death(s) in this movie, which led me to believe it would be Captain America and/or Bucky (good fucking riddance..right?). I also saw the "I don't feel so good" memes but I didn't even realize they were Avengers related (I am so out of the loop with where memes come from, I thought it was just something else I didn't understand). The scene in which Iron Man is presumably killed is quite shocking. When it happened I honestly did get a bit choked up for a millisecond and then thought "wow they actually had the balls to kill Iron Man??! No fucking way! Go Marvel". Then OF COURSE it doesn't happen. Everything is completely wiped out by Doctor Strange saving him and then saying "it's the only way". MEANING it's the only way for all of humanity to survive. MEANING that all of the deaths in the end aren't really true. MEANING the whole movie is a waste of my fucking time. It's all going to be undone in the next one, so really what's the point? And why are people so upset about it? They aren't going to really kill off that many characters - they are making too much money on them. Let's be real.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I couldn't stand this movie! It felt like a plotless 2 and a half hour fight scene to me, and I weep for those not as familiar with the MCU! It was a bit mind numbing even for me!

    Yeeeepppp, that's exactly how the comic miniseries this is based on goes. Half the universe dies, then the cosmic reset button is pushed at the end, with the event having had literally no impact, except Thanos is now a farmer, having decided genocide isn't really for him. Haha, something tells me that isn't going to be in the next film! At least the event happens in the first issue, so it's not like sitting through a whole movie, then getting that as the cliffhanger ending. Also, the comic starts with Thanos already having retrieved the infinity stones from a bunch of random dudes, so the comic isn't just a frustrating series of encounters you know the villain is going to win, but the remaining heroes banding together to stop him *after* the cataclysm has already taken place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, I think I enjoyed it more than you did. I didn't really mind it but I just think the end is pointless bc we are clearly going to see more from these characters.

      There were two guys sitting in front of me and I overheard them talking about how one of them had only seen Black Panther out of all the Marvel movies. I thought it was weird and when I looked at him about 30 minutes into the movie he was sound asleep! Haha!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, an expensive sleeping draught if I say so myself.

      Delete