Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Summer Movie Preview: 17 Movies That I'm Excited For

1. Overboard (5.4) - The original Overboard is one of my favorite comedies of all time. I know it doesn't really fly in modern times, but even as a child I didn't really think the message was "ok", but it was a COMEDY not to be taken seriously. I'm not one to claim that remakes ruin the original, or my childhood, or my life (some people are sooooo dramatic), but I am a little upset that they are switching the gender roles as if that makes the plot ok (or "modern")??? However, the reason I am still on board (accidental pun) is for one major reason: I adore Anna Faris - she is my generation's Goldie Hawn (I mean, Goldie Hawn is irreplaceable, but Faris is the next best thing). I recently read her book, which was a tad disappointing because it wasn't as funny as I was expecting, but I also really enjoyed the honesty of it (plus, Faris is clearly not a writer, which she openly admits. It was a little inspirational because she writes in a very stream of consciousness kind of way and it's bad, but if she can have a book then maybe so can I one day???).

2. Tully (5.4) - I'm hearing amazing things about this movie and it has all the right things in place - Directed by Jason Reitman (I haven't been a fan of his last two outings but I'm ready for him to be back on form with this), written by Diablo Cody, starring Charlize Theron and someone I've recently become a BIG fan of - Mackenzie Davis. She started out rough on Halt and Catch Fire, but by the end of the series she was giving one of my favorite television performances of all time.

3. Terminal (5.11) - Big fan of Margot Robbie - she is the modern day "Hitchcock Blonde" (like, if they ever have the gall to remake The Birds or Vertigo - they would have no choice but to cast her or I WILL RIOT). Anyway, she's the only reason I want to see this. I don't need to know anything else about it.

4. The Seagull (5.11) - A film version of Chekhov's masterpiece? I am there. Casting Annette Bening and Saoirse Ronan?? Can we say "Oscar"? 

5. Deadpool 2 (5.18) - I loved Deadpool - it's one of my favorite recent comic book movies. I laughed my ass off, it has an interesting story, great characters, and is easily re-watchable. I don't even like Ryan Reynolds, but he absolutely nails this character. The trailers haven't been as funny as I was hoping for - but I did die laughing at "from the studio that brought you 27 Dresses and The Devil Wears Prada".

6. How to Talk to Girls at Parties (5.25) - Um...I just have to see this movie based on the production stills of Nicole Kidman in that ridiculous outfit/hair/makeup.

7. Action Point (6.1) - I'm actually really fascinated by this movie because it's based on the famous NJ water park, Action Park. I used to go there when I was a kid in the late 80s and it was absolutely terrifying. There were like no safety regulations in place and people got hurt all the time. I vividly remember standing in a pool of another kid's blood because he split his head open at the bottom of the river raft ride. It's kind of awkward to make a movie about it, considering people died there. But on the other hand, it totally makes sense for Johnny Knoxville to make a movie that he describes as "if Jackass had it's own theme park".

8. Hotel Artemis (6.8) - I have a huge crush on Sterling K. Brown. He's just so perfect on This is Us. I fall more in love with every episode. I want him to be a gigantic movie star. This movie is just the beginning.

9. Ocean's 8 (6.8) - This is the movie that I have been anxiously waiting for ever since I heard it announced. Ocean's Eleven is one of my favorite movies of all-time (definitely in my Top 50). Sandra Bullock is my favorite person (in celebrity terms). Cate Blanchett my favorite actress. The rest of the cast is INSANE. I really, really, really wish Steven Soderbergh was directing because I have doubts that this will "feel" the same (there is just something about Soderbergh's films that are so unique), but otherwise it looks just about perfect.

10. Hereditary (6.8) - The trailer for this played before Thoroughbreds, and it looks really scary. And I don't say that very often.

11. Tag (6.15) - Jeremy Renner in a raunchy comedy??? HELL YES.

12. Under the Silver Lake (6.22) - The premise seems interesting, and I really liked It Follows, even though I think people hyped it way too much. Also, Andrew Garfield is a really good actor.

13. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (6.22) - I don't care - I enjoyed the hell out of Jurassic World. It was fun, brought some of the nostalgia of the original back, and had a decent story. I'm looking forward to where the story goes next. I kind of wish it didn't involve Bryce Dallas Howard again, but oh well. But the most exciting news - Jeff Goldblum is back!!! Fucking YES!!!

14. Ant-Man and The Wasp (7.6) - I really liked Ant-Man, but honestly, I don't really remember anything about it (the same can be said for Doctor Strange). I think that's the problem that I've been running into with all of the Marvel movies. I enjoy them while I'm watching them, but they are mostly forgettable. There are just soooo many of them, and it seems to be never-ending. I wish they slowed it down a little bit. Anyway, I will continue to keep watching because I need to (completest).

15. Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (7.13) - First, the title is great. Second, Gus Van Sant is love or hate for me (Love = Good Will Hunting; Hate = To Die For). Third, Jonah Hill has TWO Oscar nominations and that's no accident. He's great. Fourth, Joaquin Phoenix.

16. The Spy Who Dumped Me (8.3) - It's probably going to be dumb, but I can't NOT watch a "buddy action comedy" with Mila Kunis. And there is no "stereotypical romantic arc" according to Entertainment Weekly, and that's pretty rare for comedies starring two women.

17. Crazy Rich Asians (8.17) - There's a lot of hype for this movie, and I heard a lot of good things about the book so I guess we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment