Friday, March 16, 2018

Thoughts on 4 New TV Shows

1. Good Girls - I've only watched the Pilot episode so far, but I AM IN. First, I will always watch a tv show with Mae Whitman. Fact. She's terrific in everything she does. Second, out of all the memorable moments in Mad Men, my two absolute favorite moments are with Joan (the "I want to burn this place down" moment in the elevator, and "Surprise! There's an airplane here to see you!"). I'm interested to see Christina Hendricks in a different role, because she was just about perfect as Joan and I can't really picture her as anyone else. Third, the concept is ok. There are going to be a lot of copycat Breaking Bad type shows where the main character is breaking the law, but none are going to do it as well. Fact.

2. A.P. Bio - UGH. I watched this show for Glenn Howerton. I thought this show had to be amazing if there's a chance he might not return to one of the greatest sitcoms of all time (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I was extremely mad at first, but then I thought that if Glenn found another show that fulfills him, I should support it. Side-note: I did not watch The Mick for Kaitlin Olson because that show looked like a train wreck (and she never threatened to leave It's Always Sunny). I thought this show looked at least looked cute. It's not. It's also not funny. I thought it was just a rough Pilot episode, but so far I've watched 4 episodes, and by the 4th episode I was so bored that I started cleaning the house. I'm going to cut my losses now, and take the show off of my rotation (aren't you proud of me?!).

3. 9-1-1 - Another Parenthood alumni that I will follow everywhere, the wonderful Peter Krause (and actually he was first a Six Feet Under alumni that I've followed since. NO WAIT...he's actually a Sports Night alumni! Does anyone remember that show? It was so good. One of my all-time favorites). Anyway, I also really like the rest of the cast (Connie Britton, Angela Bassett, Aisha Hinds, and Kenneth Choi). The biggest reason why I was looking forward to this show, though, is because it's a Ryan Murphy/Brad Fulchuck project (let's face it, Krause has done some TERRIBLE shows - most recently, The Catch. *shudders*), but Murphy and Fulchuck have a pretty strong resume. Unfortunately, this show blows. I can't even keep track of how many times I roll my eyes during every episode because of how ridiculous it is. The "emergencies" are so over the top (and they claim they are all based on truth - which is a valid claim, but the fact that all of these INSANE emergencies happen in the same city and the same group of people are the heroes is the ridiculous part). It has a little bit of potential, though. They are doing a good job of character development, which is why I've continued to watch. They just need to tone it down. A lot.

4. The Resident - As you can tell, I'm extremely influenced to watch a show if it has an actor that I like - and Matt Czuchry is just ADORABLE. I loved him on The Good Wife, and of all the terrible boys that Rory dated on Gilmore Girls, Logan was clearly the best of the worst. Czuchry is one of those actors that just exudes charm - you can't help but love him. I thought the pairing of him, and another fantastic television actress, Emily VanCamp, was a great idea (although they kind of look like siblings to me). The show, as a whole, is a little cheesy and predictable. I don't think they've done anything new with the medical drama genre. It has potential to grow, though. I do enjoy the intrigue surrounding the other doctor's suspicious Cancer clinic. I hope the build-up is worth it, otherwise I am going to get really frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment