Thursday, May 25, 2017

3 Thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2



1. As a sequel - It's a challenge to make a sequel to a film like Guardians of the Galaxy. There was something about the film that just works and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what that was. The first one was filled with snappy dialogue, fun action sequences, lovable characters, and a strong villain. But the biggest difference for me, compared to other superhero films, is that I wanted to watch it over and over again. And I didn't get sick of it. I'm happy to say that this sequel is just as good, and that I look forward to watching it again. It felt like a true sequel to the story, a natural progression of events. My only complaint is that there are too many characters. Don't get me wrong, I love them all (even Gamora grew on me), but with so many of them taking up screen-time, we lose focus on Star-Lord. It would be more acceptable if the screen-time was focused on another one of the original "Guardians", other than Baby Groot. I loved Groot in the first one, and Baby Groot was even *more* adorable, but it was really overdone (clearly fan-service). Plus, with the additional focus on Yondu and Nebula, and newcomers Mantis, Ego, and Ayesha, there was little-to-no room on character development. Yet, even with that being my only complaint, I still love every.single.character. 

2. Within the MCU - With this sequel, I can confidently say that the Guardians are my favorite superheros within the MCU (the new Spider-Man could change that). It's the only sequel that I like just as much as the first (while I did like Winter Soldier better than the first one, but I'm not a big fan of Captain America - and Civil War was really an Avengers movie, anyway). I am absolutely dreading the merging of these characters with The Avengers. WHYYYYY?! I don't care if they are all part of the same universe, it just feels so different. It's just so unnecessary. I thought that we would get a hint of how it was all going to come together during the after credits scenes - I mean, there were 5 OF THEM - one of them could have at least had a point. I just know that I'm going to hate it, so I am going to focus all of my energy being excited for Volume 3 instead.

3. Among an audience - Unfortunately, I saw this movie with a very disrespectful and annoying crowd of people. It's so devastating that movie theater etiquette has been shunned and these obnoxious, rude, self-absorbed people have taken over. I used to love going to the movies, but now, I barely go. Instead, I wait for films to be released for home viewing via streaming services or blu-ray. When I do go to the theater, it's usually for a big movie, such as this - and it's usually with these big movies that the crowd is the worst. We arrived for this movie super early (as I always do), but due to an inefficient theater staff, I almost missed the trailers while waiting in line at the concession stand Luckily, the person I was with got the perfect seats while I was waiting. Then, as the trailers played, the group behind us talked through every trailer. LOUDLY. One of them, LOUDLY, complained about "ANOTHER SPIDER-MAN" movie (erm...you're at a Marvel movie. That's what they do). Then, the young girl behind me started kicking my seat. Instead of causing an argument (I tend to be non-confrontational), we decided to move from our perfect seats. We could still hear the group - who continued to talk through the movie - but, no-one else seemed bothered. Because EVERYONE was chit-chatting. The entire audience made overtly obnoxious "AWWWW" noises every single time Baby Groot did something cute, and loud (almost fake) laughing noises at every single joke. I'm not exaggerating - every single joke. And the movie is joke after joke, so it was distracting. You want to hear an audience enjoy comedy, but this felt more like people trying to feel superior (like HAHA I GET THAT JOKE). This experience, honestly, makes me never want to see a movie in a theater ever again. And that is heartbreaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment