Sunday, August 16, 2015

Fall Movie Preview: 16 Movies That I Am Excited About

It's been a pretty rough year for movies, so far. I've barely even made it to the theater at all. Nothing has really inspired me or captivated me. However, the Fall movie season is usually the best of the year, so here's hoping...

1. Sleeping with Other People (9/11) - This movie can go either way for me. I love Alison Brie & Adam Scott, but I hate Jason Sudeikis (ok...hate might be too strong of a word. I just don't think he's funny or attractive). I like that it's about a friendship between a guy and a girl, but ultimately they will likely end up together in happy ending sort of situation (boooo!!! hiss!!!).

2. Sicaro (9/18) - I'm so in for this movie. Movie fans have been clamoring for Emily Blunt to be given a starring role and it is finally here. Plus, Denis Villeneuve is the director (Incendies, Prisoners & Enemy are all strong films). I'm especially intrigued by his comment in Entertainment Weekly that he "didn't want a woman who acted like a man" instead he "wanted a woman who would find her strength in a masculine world". I'm interested to see the female protagonist that he creates.

3. Black Mass (9/18) - Johnny Depp's return to actual acting! I'm there. The images of him as Whitey Bulger are freaky.

4. Everest (9/18) - I don't really want to see a movie about this tragedy, but I love the cast. And Jake Gyllenhaal hasn't had a misstep in years. Although, I haven't seen Southpaw yet, and I haven't heard the greatest things about it. But it's Jake AND Josh Brolin, Robin Wright, Keira Knightley, John Hawkes, Emily Watson, Jason Clarke and Sam Worthington (LOL). Now, that is a cast.

5. The Walk (9/30) - I really liked the documentary Man on Wire. This is basically the "movie" version of the historical, death-defying walk that Philippe Petit took on a wire between the two towers. It's all sort of fascinating that people set these types of "impossible" goals and then spend their lives trying to achieve them. I love JGL, too.

6. The Martian (10/2) - I predict that this will be my film of the year. I knew it had a great cast (Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kate Mara, Michael Pena, Kristen Wiig. The list goes on.), but I didn't really know anything else about it. I recently saw the trailer and I was blown away. I'm deciding if I want to read the book before (I've heard it's amazing), but I don't really want the movie ruined for me. Maybe I will wait until after I watch it. Anyway, it's a Ridley Scott movie, adapted by Drew Goddard. Dream come true.

7. Suffragette (10/23) -  I didn't really want to see this movie, until I had to hold myself back from bawling during the trailer. It's so good. These women risked everything to secure the right to vote for women and it's so disgusting that many women don't even realize how important it is for them to exercise this right. You know what else is disgusting? That Entertainment Weekly's "Fall Movie Preview" focuses on the costume design. I mean, seriously, with such important subject matter and a group of talented women, please tell me more about these "vintage finds". Fuck off.

8. Burnt (10/23) - It's like a movie version of Kitchen Confidential!!! I'm so freakin' excited!! Bradley Cooper is so hot, but he's like 100 times hotter as a chef.

9. Our Brand is Crisis (10/30) - Looks like a nice, meaty role for Sandra Bullock. It seems like a movie that is perfectly timed along with the beginning of the 2016 presidential election, but I hope everyone realizes how corrupt the whole process is without needing a movie to tell them so.

10. Spectre (11/6) - I'm not a huge Bond fan, but I've seen all of the Craig ones in the theater, so I feel it's necessary to see this one as well. The reason I say I'm not a "huge" fan is because I've seen every single one, but to me, they all blend together. I couldn't tell you a plot point of any of them. If someone who considers them self a "Bond fan" starts talking to me about the movies, I usually have no idea what they are yapping about. Yet, I always enjoy them while I'm watching them. Go figure.

11. By the Sea (11/13) - I think Jolie is capable of making a great movie; we just haven't seen it yet. This movie, starring her and Brad Pitt, has been compared to Revolutionary Road, which is a devastating movie about the perils of marriage. It's fascinating that a real-life married couple would put themselves through such an emotionally charged movie like this. I'm in.

12. Carol (11/20) - I read a lot about this movie when it premiered at Cannes because it was praised for the performances from Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. I think Cate might be my pick for best actress working today (formerly was Naomi Watts, but Blanchett has been incredible lately). I'm interested in Blanchett's take on the movie; that it's about "the feeling of falling in love" and that it's not just a "lesbian romance".

13. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (11/20) - Mockingjay Part 1 is my favorite of the series so far. I've actually never seen any of the movies in the theater (because I hate crowds), but I might venture to see the last one on the big screen. I really loved the movies so much more than I ever expected to. I'm excited to see how it all plays out (no I haven't read the books, and I don't plan to).

14. Secret in their Eyes (11/20) - I haven't seen the original, but I've heard great things about it. I love when Julia does serious drama. I think a lot of people see her as overrated, but I think she can be incredible and mesmerizing on-screen when she is given the right part. I'm intrigued that the original was a male part and that they changed it to a female role (especially because this is the same thing that happened with Bullock's Our Brand is Crisis). Is this the new way for women to get parts? The only thing is, both of these women are already their own "brand". They can demand roles more than other actresses can. I'm interested to see how this effects storytelling in Hollywood, though.

15. The Night Before (11/25) - The only comedy on my list! How weird and disappointing. I liked JGL and Seth Rogen's chemistry in 50/50, plus they re-team with director Jonathon Levine. And they add Anthony Mackie. He makes me laugh. He's got that charisma thing that is missing from so many actors in the Marvel movies. I'm rooting for him to be a huge star.

16. Victor Frankentstein (11/25) - I'm not even going to pretend that I have any other reason to see this movie except James McAvoy. I would sit through anything starring McAvoy (luckily for me, he usually makes good movies).

No comments:

Post a Comment