Wednesday, July 16, 2014

3 Thoughts on Transformers: Age of Extinction



1. Transformers forever - I don't care what anyone says, the first Transformers movie is fucking awesome. I've seen in a dozen times, and I will never get bored of it. Yes, the sequels are shit in comparison, yet I don't think they are as bad as 99% of movie critics do. I actually enjoyed the second one, more than the third one (a minority opinion, I know). I still had fun watching them, though, and I had fun watching this one too. I hope that one day, Michael Bay will make one as good as the first one, but until then, I will watch the Transformers movies with zero cynicism and just plan to have a good time.

2. Marky Mark forever - Oh Marky Mark. I will always be a fan, but I really didn't want him in the Transformers franchise. He's not someone that can pull off cheesy dialogue well - he usually just makes the dialogue worse (like The Happening). Here he plays Cade Yeager, an inventor (LOL), and father of a 17 year old. While this can technically be true - it's hard for me to wrap my head around that. I still see him as Marky Mark, the guy I had a poster of in my locker in high school. I'm happy to report that Mark did a really good job with this movie - he embraces the cheesiness well, and it works. I like the girl that plays his daughter, Nicola Peltz (from Bates Motel), although I don't think she will get the big push into fame, like Megan Fox did. Stanley Tucci is ace (as always). The only awful performance is from Jack Reynor, who couldn't decide on an accent, and seemed a little brain dead (maybe constantly being referred to as "Lucky Charms" got to him? I'm pretty sure enough people hate Michael Bay, why does he insist on getting an entire country to hate him?).

3. The movie goes on for forever - It doesn't need to. There is plenty of "story" there to split into 2 movies - I know, I know, no-one wants more Transformers movies, but face it: there will be more. There comes a point in the movie, when I thought we were getting close to a conclusion but then I remembered the big draw to this franchise entry is the dinobots, and they were nowhere to be seen. In fact, they don't show up until the very end (whaaat the fuuuuck!). When big action movies like this go on forever, the action scenes start to blend together and become underwhelming and tiresome. I would have had much more fun if it was an hour shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment