Thursday, August 1, 2013

3 Thoughts on The Heat



1. It's much funnier than the trailer - While most comedies show all the best jokes in the trailer, The Heat did the exact opposite. So much so, that I actually had no interest in seeing it.  My mother insisted that we see it together and it's pretty rare for her to want to go to the movies, so I agreed.  I was surprised at how hilarious the beginning was, but even more surprising is that the laughs didn't stop.  I laughed for the entire movie and even better than that, my mom laughed for the entire movie.  She's been going through a tough time lately, so watching her laugh was the most enjoyable part for me. It made me appreciate movies (and specifically comedies) for that special healing power they can have on someone's life - even if it is just for a few hours.  Is The Heat a good movie? Hardly. The plot is ridiculous, the continuity errors will drive any OCD person insane, and it's as predictable as movies come. However, Bullock and McCarthy are a comedic match made in heaven.

2. Sandra Bullock is my hero - I'm not even kidding. When I was in high school, I had to answer the question of who my "role model" was and I think everyone expected me to say a Gloria Steinem type figure (and sure, she is an excellent role model), but instead I shocked everyone with my answer: Sandra Bullock.  I have a lot of reasons for this and maybe one day, I will write them all down. However, the main reason is that she likes to make people laugh.  She was voted "Most Likely to Brighten Your Day" in high school and guess what?! So was I (something I will always brag about)!  Once, I was in a bar talking to a guy and he said "wow...you're like a not-annoying version of Sandra Bullock" and it is literally the best compliment I've ever received (actually that's not true, I've had better compliments but they are personal). Things have changed since high school and I find myself struggling to smile and really, I could give a shit about most people nowadays.  I admire that Sandra can keep a smile on her face and that after over 20 years in the business, she is still making people laugh.  Also, the fact that Melissa McCarthy is the "star" of this movie kind of makes me love Bullock even more.  She's one of the highest paid actresses in the world; yet steps aside and lets someone else tell the best jokes. I don't know many women who would do that - I know that's an awful thing to say, but honestly women do not support other women.  If we did, we would rule the fucking world.  It's the biggest thing holding us back.

3. The "anti-chick flick"? - Remember when Bridesmaids came out and everyone referred to it as "the anti-chick flick"?  It made absolutely no sense, because it was one of the most in-your-face chick flicks I've ever seen.  Gross-out humor does not cancel the story; if a movie is about a wedding, it's a chick flick in my book (side note: I loved Bridesmaids).  Now, The Heat, is truly Paul Feig's "anti-chick flick" movie.  It's basically a movie that has been made many times for a male audience (the buddy cop movie), just with the leads replaced by females.  There is no wedding or pre-wedding antics, no love triangle, no cattiness, no baby drama; instead it is straight-up boys territory. The same movie could be made with males and not much would have to change. That's, like, really awesome...right?

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you write! And I loved The Heat, too. My friends and I made a huge deal about getting together and going. And guess what? I am now a volunteer Citizen On Patrol (that's a COP) with my local police department. I get to drive a patrol car and everything! Badass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! That's so cool...I'm a bit jealous!

    ReplyDelete