Friday, June 1, 2012

3 Thoughts on The Cabin in the Woods


1. *Spoiler* *Spoiler* *Spoiler* - Ok, I'm not actually going to spoil anything.  But holy fuck were people flipping out about being spoiled!  I don't see what the big deal is, considering there isn't a "big twist" in the film, but rather a "slow reveal".  You are introduced to this reveal from the beginning, so I don't think knowing what it is would actually ruin anything.  I think, if knowing a "spoiler" ruins a film for you, then it probably wasn't a very good film to begin with. 

2. It's awesome, from beginning to end -  If you go in expecting a horror movie, you may be disappointed.  It's much smarter than that.  Instead, it flips the horror genre on it's ass, recognizing all the cliche's and gives the audience a satisfying reason behind these cliche's.  Totally awesome. 

3. Casting Problems - I would say that my only problem with the film lies with the casting, but since the film sort of answers why these "actors/characters" were cast, it's hard to fault it. I loved the casting of Dollhouse alums, Fran Kranz and Amy Acker.  Plus, Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford stole the movie.  However, I do think they could have found more charismatic actors for the rest of the group. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought this film was good but not great. Seemed people got sort of carried away with the hype machine for this one.

    I think the fact that I had recently seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil might have tempered my enthusiasm a bit.

    I like your 3 thoughts format

    ReplyDelete