Sunday, February 22, 2009

3 Things That Would Have Made "Confessions of a Shopaholic" a Better Movie

I saw "Confessions of a Shopaholic" this weekend with great anticipation. As much as I adore Isla Fischer and am a bit of a shopaholic myself (although I go crazy for the cheap yet trendy clothes at Target), I admit the movie was only so-so. Here are some things that would have made it better.

1. More Laugh-Out-Loud Moments - I admit that I was mildly entertained for the entire movie, but I only laughed a mere 3 times. The rest of the audience laughed a few more times than I did, but mostly at scenes that were shown in previews (and therefore not really funny anymore). I blame this solely on the writing, simply because Isla Fischer is friggin' HILARIOUS when she is given great material that she so deserves (i.e - Wedding Crashers).

2. A Better Male Lead - Hugh Dancy is not the next Hugh Grant. He is not the charming, funny, vulnerable leading man that Grant has perfected in his (many!) romantic comedy roles. Instead, Dancy was actually rather bland and forgettable - certainly not a match for Fischer's vivacious Rebecca Bloomwood.

3. A Different Release Date - A perfect example of bad timing for a film - who wants to see a young woman struggling with credit card debt during the current economical crisis that our country is enduring? Films like these are supposed to be escapist but instead it hit a little to close to home. Though most are struggling with affording food, not an over-priced green scarf -which causes resentment instead of sympathy for our main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment