Sunday, May 19, 2024

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. The Regime - I liked this show, for the most part, but from what I've read, I might be in the minority on that. I understand the criticism but I think it's just being misunderstood. I think more were expecting a political satire in the same vein as Veep, and this never really hits those notes at all. I appreciate that it tries to do something a bit different - it's obvious political satire, but it also tells a somewhat unbelievable truth about how people come in to power and how they are able to abuse this power. The first two episodes are definitely weird because it's hard to figure out exactly what it's trying to say and it all seems a bit ludicrous. But once I got into the groove of it, and took it for face-value as a play on many famous political figures like Margaret Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth and the Romanovs (with Matthias Shoenaerts clearly playing a Rasputin type character), I started to really enjoy it. It never goes the expected route, and therefore is consistently oddly interesting. Shoenaerts is incredible in this role. Winslet, on the other hand, is very Kate Winslet. I find her to be one of the most inconsistent A-list actresses, and those inconsistencies often exist within the same project. Similar to how her Boston accent dips in and out throughout Mare of Easttown, here she attempts a weird lisp-slash-lip droop, but only sometimes. It's really heavy during certain scenes and then barely noticeable in others. It's like she got too tired to keep it up and hoped that nobody would notice (BUT I DO!). I still love her and have since Heavenly Creatures, but I don't think she's as great of an actress as the awards praise suggests. The character, though, is very good - she creates this eccentric, cold-hearted, disconnected from reality character that somehow I still felt a little bit sorry for. Andrea Riseborough is severely underused, and I wish her story arc was a larger focus in the series. It's also got some funny stuff - when the kids ask questions and she says "I knew I smelt something" (perfect line delivery) and the whole scene with the portrait he does of her and her reaction to it is hilarious. I just really enjoy how high stakes it becomes in the end and was definitely entertained for its entirety. 

2. Under the Bridge - Yet another true crime series that everyone is claiming is "incredible", but I don't really see anything that stands out from every other true crime series about a murdered teenager. I like Riley Keough, and this performance might push her into Emmy territory, but that's probably the only really positive thing I can say about it. OH WAIT, actually the best performance in the show is Archie Panjabi - she has a few standout moments from the show that really hit. I really want to like Lily Gladstone, but so far, I'm not impressed (with her acting). I thought she was very one-note in KotFM, and I don't even remember her in Certain Women. She is lifeless in this - I have not seen a single emotion occur on her face. I honestly find it creepy. I'm also just not sure that this story needs to be told. This girl, who was brutally murdered by her peers, also lied about her own father molesting her just because she wanted to fit in with her new friends. With it being so difficult for victims of abuse to be believed, I find these stories (while based on a true story) unnecessary to tell in this current environment. Obviously, I have sympathy for this girl (and more so for her family), and she didn't deserve to die for her lies, but there are plenty of similar stories to be told that don't involve a young girl lying about abuse. I also find the romance really forced - are they supposed to have chemistry??? It's hard to watch. There's still two more episodes for me to watch, but so far, I'm just not really impressed and I feel like it's missing a lot of things that can make it more interesting. Like, we don't really know who these characters are aside from in relation to this mystery. Keough's character mentions her brother dying and she obviously has a lot of PTSD from that and a disconnect from her family, but it would have benefitted from exploring this more instead of showing the teen girls being bitchy teens for the 100th time. And her trying to connect with them, is grating - no teens would hang out with a 34 year old woman; especially rebellious teens. I mean, she's the same age that my mom was when I was 16. 

3. Ripley - Just like with Under the Bridge, I find the hyperbole for this a bit eye-rolling. There's a lot I like about it, but it becomes SO boring. It was hard to get through 8 episodes of this. I will say that it is probably the most well-made television show of the year. Stunningly beautiful shots galore. Obviously inspired by classic Hollywood films, Hitchcock, and Italian neo-realism, it's a love letter to films, even though it's a series. I'm not usually a fan of modern productions using black & white cinematography, but this is the exception. There are just so many moments that I sat at awe at how beautiful it is - the scene in which he's trying to get rid of the boat, in particular, is just excellent, from the sound, to the pace of it, to the blocking. I also really like the shots of the Italian newspaper that fade into the English translation that become a big part of the latter episodes. I guess my disappointment is largely with the cast. I just think the whole thing is completely miscast especially compared to the original film. The Talented Mr. Ripley is definitely among my favorite movies, but I also read the book last year and was surprised at how much depth and story is built into this universe that can be explored. I appreciate that this is an adaption from the book that feels very different than the film. If you're going to remake something, it needs to feel completely different, otherwise what's the point? But, I don't think Andrew Scott has even a tenth of the charm that Matt Damon had for this role, and that is a HUGE aspect of his character. It's the reason that he was able to grift so well. And Jude Law as Dickie Greenleaf is one of the hottest men in cinematic history. He oozes sex and intrigue, and we (the audience) completely understood why Ripley becomes obsessed with him and his life. I'm interested in Johnny Flynn's career because he's always completely different in every role (sometimes becoming unrecognizable) and I respect that. But, he's certainly no Jude Law at peak Jude Law (peak Jude Law was from 1997 to 2006). Dakota Fanning is fine in this role, I guess. I think Gwen was the weak link casting of the film, so Fanning is a slight step up, but I still see her as a child so it's a hard adjustment, personally. But perhaps one of the worst casting decisions I've ever witnessed IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, is the role of Freddie Miles for this series. Like, I'm not exaggerating, it's a hate crime. In the book and the movie, Miles is a larger than life character - THE life of the party and played to perfection by the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was also, somewhat of a threatening presence for Ripley. I understand that they wanted to go in a different direction, but the direction they chose is baffling. I think you have to watch it to understand *just* how bad it is, but I think the biggest problem is that this person can't act. I didn't know who they were, but they seemed familiar so I looked it up - and it's Sting's child (and they look just like him). They are also non-binary. Good for them. But it just doesn't work for this character. I couldn't help but see this person trying so hard to come off as masculine, with this terrible haircut, and bad line delivery. They also look like a child, so certainly not a threatening presence at all for Ripley. I honestly feel bad for whomever decided they were right for this role. It's like setting someone up to fail. Anyway. I also found myself not paying attention to whole chunks of the series because I already know the story so well. It feels like it drags a bit and gets repetitive, so I would have probably enjoyed a 5 or 6 episode version better than the 8 episodes. 

4. Fallout - I've only watched the first three episodes, so far, so I don't have a whole lot to say yet (it's difficult to get my husband to watch stuff. Even stuff he likes!). As someone who has never played the game nor is familiar with the story, they do a wonderful job of making it completely accessible. But, I also have my husband (a big fan of the game) answering my many questions. And my first question was "UHHHH are they all inbred????". I was definitely not expecting that to be part of this plot (nor was I expecting that to be part of the plot of this hugely popular video game series???). I liked the first episode well enough. It reminded me a lot of the Westworld series (which Jonathon Nolan also created). I like the main cast - the girl from Yellowjackets, who reminds me of a young American version of Marion Cotillard, is, once again, fantastic. Walton Goggins always brings everything to every role, and is one of those actors that everybody loves. And the other guy, who I don't recognize from anything, is also strong (I'm being lazy again, I don't feel like looking up names). He also resembles Denzel Washington more than Denzel's own son! The soundtrack is also a major highlight - and feels really different for a show like this. But the next two episodes sort of have me doubting it as a series. It's starting to remind me of other shows like The Walking Dead and The Last of Us and I'm sort of over it. There's just nothing that has really hooked me yet. But I did start shouting out types of shrimp when I saw the guy who plays Bubba in Forrest Gump in a small scene. My husband was like "what's happening, what are you doing?", "IT'S BUBBA!" and then he joined me and we spent like 5 minutes naming types of shrimp. Poor guy. I'm sure he probably still gets people yelling types of shrimp at him. It's like when I met the guy who plays Fun Bobby on Friends when I worked in LA, and he said he wished he never did the role because people yell "Fun Bobby" at him every single day of his life and he had a hard time getting other acting gigs because of it. Anyway, I'm sidetracked, again. I do like this show, but so far, it's all just very expected. Unless it really starts to shock me, it's probably going to be a chore for me to watch the rest. 

5. Baby Reindeer - I did not know what to expect with this - I just kept hearing everyone talk about this crazy new Netflix show about a stalker, oddly titled Baby Reindeer. It was everywhere, so I added it to my list AND moved it to the top (pushing Sugar with COLIN FARRELL - don't worry, I will be watching with my next round of new shows!). It is, indeed, worth the hype. I watched it all in the span of two days. I think the biggest success of this is the representation of the imperfect victim. There are so many stories of abuse, rape, etc., in which we question how anyone could possibly get themselves into that situation, and I think this story tries to grapple with this question. The psychology of the victim that is explored here is done so well, because victims of violence often blame themselves so much so that a history of self-loathing and self-destruction is created (often leading to more abuse as either a victim again, or a perpetrator). They let this hatred of themselves consume them until there's nothing of their previous self left. And I think a lot of stories are too scared to go there. It's just too complicated of a narrative to get right. The only way to make it successful is to tell it from experience, and that's what this story is. Comedian Richard Gadd tells his story with deeply raw honesty and bravery. We don't get many stories about male victims of sexual violence (unless it's set in a prison), and Gadd has taken a really strong first step. The fourth episode, that reveals this part of his past, is such an incredible showcase of the intricacies of sexual abuse and how it fucks with your head in such nonsensical ways. There is also an exercise in perspective that's happening to - because we obviously only see his perspective, and as the victim, I don't feel like we see that often (I feel like stories now try really hard to show the abuser side as well- either a psychological inquiry, or as a push for the victim's narrative). Not that we don't see some insight into his stalker - we do, but it's still all from his perspective and his own research into her past. It's certainly not an easy watch, nor is it ever black & white. There is an empathy shown for his stalker, which is how he finds himself in the situation to begin with. I do have a few critiques (because of course I do!). I think it gets a little repetitive, especially with the constant narrating. There is something to be said with "show, don't tell", and I usually don't like having a narrator as a device, but it does work here. There's just a little too much of it. And, while the monologue that he does is heartbreaking, it's also unnecessary to show the whole thing - we just watched the entire story and now we have to hear him repeat it back to us?? That's it though, otherwise it's a pretty perfect show.

No comments:

Post a Comment