Friday, June 30, 2023

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Mother -
This has a really strong beginning with the FBI safehouse scene, but unfortunately, I lost complete interest in it about 30 minutes in and then I had to stop it about an hour in and finish it the next day (although this has been happening to me more and more lately...I'm getting old! I need my sleep!). It just felt so long and predictable...and pointless. It also feels like a Liam Neeson movie, but with JLo in the Neeson role. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case, it is. Lopez seems to take the role a little too seriously, which works for Neeson because it's what he does so well. She's just dull and dry, and boring to watch. And surely, Gael Garcia Bernal and Joseph Fiennes deserve better roles than being supporting villains in a Netflix JLo movie??? Aren't they like Oscar nominees?? (they...are not. I just looked it up. But they should be!). The whole story is just wildly overdone and beyond reality. I can't even praise the action sequences or fight choreography because I watched it a few weeks ago and I can't remember any single moment about it. Just a full waste of talent all around. Can't even muster up anything else to say about it. 

2. Saint Omer -
What a devastatingly beautiful movie. I saw this on many Best of 2022 lists, and as we approach July, I am putting my updated list together, so I'm trying to ensure I've seen everything that might effect my list (this will surely be on it). I wasn't really sure if it lived up to the hype as I was watching it, but the ending is packed with so much emotion - it's going to haunt me for the rest of my life. As for the rest of it, it's very simple but incredibly effective. It's super interesting to watch how the justice system works in France. The way the judge reads out everything in a very fact-based way, while also referencing key moments in the life of this accused woman (she is accused of killing her baby). It seems weird to me, an American, because in an American courtroom most of this would be objected by one of the lawyers as not being relevant to the case. But, it seems necessary in certain cases - although I don't think it would effect the guilty or not-guilty outcome, I do think it helps us learn about human psychology and behavior, therefore possibly effecting future crimes and cases. I think my point is that we don't focus on prevention enough in America (or empathy, but that's a whole other can of worms). As simple as the story is, I never found my mind wandering, instead I stayed very focused. I did, however, start to question the point of it all - until I found myself getting very angry. And then I realized that THAT was the point. From the moment that the father started to speak (and I just knew it was an old white man), my blood started to boil. And when he says "her silence was aggressive" - such a loaded statement about black women because it doesn't matter if they yell or sit in silence, they will still be branded as "aggressive" and it's heartbreaking and disgusting. The rhythmic breathing sounds add to the intensity, leading to that aforementioned ending. The speech by the defense lawyer is breathtaking - how women carry trauma and pass it down, both physically and spiritually. Invoking Greek tragic figures such as Medea, Circe etc., the "she tried but she lost" defense, watching the other women in the courthouse fight back tears because they can relate to every word. It's perfect. And what sensational performances from Kayije Kagame and Guslagie Malanda. There's very little dialogue, but I felt that I knew what they were thinking in every moment. 

3. Chevalier -
I like this movie - it's probably not something that I'm going to remember years from now, but overall I was entertained and the acting is really strong. I do think they could have taken things a bit further, especially finding out that he "went on to lead the first black regiment of the French Revolution" during the fucking credits??? What the fuck, that's kind of a huge part of his story and far more interesting than the entire 120 minute preceding it! But the story that they do tell is fairly interesting, as well. I think it's kind of hilarious that when the trailer for this came out people complained about it being woke, only to be told it's based on a true story (I wish those people had enough self-awareness to feel incredibly stupid, but sadly they do not. They'll just move on to the next racist thing to complain about). It's also 100% about his race and how he is an anomaly in this world of composing and classical music. I didn't realize that Samara Weaving was in this, so that was a pleasant surprise, but, as expected, Kelvin Harrison Jr. knocks this out of the park. He's such a good actor and, like, nobody talks about it. Minnie Driver is also in this, which was also a surprise because I haven't seen her in anything in so long (I actually thought she retired from acting? Or did I imagine that?). The story is good, if a little predictable. It's definitely not an unfamiliar story, but there are some powerful scenes and I like the parallels between his relationship with Samara's character and his own parents. But again, I think it could have been taken to much darker places, and I would have loved to see more of his rise as a leader in the revolution. 

4. Extraction 2 -
Not a big fan of the first one, but I didn't hate it and it had some great action sequences. But I also remember it being really ugly and yellow. I actually think I liked this one slightly better. It definitely looks better and we get to know the main character a bit more (I totally forgot his name was Tyler Rake. LOL). I also like Chris Hemsworth a little more than I did a few years ago. The story is pretty much the same - him and his team "extract" a prisoner (and her two children). But, let's talk about what these films are known for - the camera-work, which is definitely the highlight. The previous one had an extensive one-shot (I don't remember how long it was, but it was impressive...I think?), but this one really expands on that with the prison sequence. It's advertised as a "21 minute one-shot" scene, but there are several obvious cuts and they are fairly easy to spot (I say several, but there are at least 2 per minute so at least 40 that I spotted with just one viewing. I'm sure there is even more if I really analyzed it). HOWEVER, it is brilliantly done - impressively choreographed and executed, creating an exhilarating and memorable action sequence. The rest of the movie is a little ridiculous. Entertaining, but ridiculous. I literally screamed "just shoot him in the head" multiple times to multiple characters because that's the best option in the moment, but then I guess the movie would be over and that's no fun. Also, that boy is fucking stupid, just let him go. And I can't get over how he consistently gets his ass beat and then has like one tiny scratch on his forehead. Or that he was basically dead, but then back in full-action mode within...months? I don't actually know how much time has gone by. They probably mentioned it when I wasn't paying attention, but either way it's dumb. If you break that many bones in your body - it will have residual effects on your body for the rest of your life. Annnywaaay, I also hate that his partner, played by Golshifteh Farahani, doesn't put her hair up at any point during these action scenes. It's just flying into her face, covering her eyes, impeding her ability to fight and she just lets it happen like an idiot (I mean, I put my hair up to do simple tasks like eating. Most women do?). And speaking of Farahani, I know she's been in a lot of stuff, including the first film, but I'll never forget her performance in About Elly. She's an incredible actress and definitely deserves more than these types of roles. Also, I can't believe that Olga Kurylenko plays his wife! And she has like 4 lines! Remember when she was going to be the next big thing? Now she's playing bit part wife roles. Thanks, I hate it. 

5. Reality -
This is an interesting movie - it's entire dialogue is based off of the actual recording that took place during Reality's first interview/interrogation and search of her home. I didn't really focus too much on this story as it was happening (but Reality Winner is the most ridiculous name in the history of names), I just knew it had to do with mishandling of classified documents (which seems to be a big problem among political figures these days....ahem...) and I knew that she received an overly harsh sentence. I think what the film does really well is keeping this well-known story so intense. It's almost harrowing, the way that the agents talk to her in this "everything's going to be okay, we're your friends" kind of way. I think the most obvious mistake is that Reality did not ask for a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Especially because...she did it?. She admits that she thought it was about a mistake that she made, but once she realizes that it's not what they are after, wouldn't she stop talking and ask for a lawyer? I know it's set up to show the power dynamic and how she felt intimidated by all of these men invading her home and personal space, but she's not dumb so....lawyer up, hun. I do think she was used as an "example" and branded as a traitor, all while others are passing around classified information like it's fucking candy, and that sucks. And it's crazy that the information she shared was then talked about openly just days later with no recourse to anyone else. Sydney Sweeney is an incredible young actress. I'm really excited to watch her career progress. She's probably the best actress on Euphoria (even though her character is annoying) and she's been great in a few other things I've seen her in (The Voyeurs, The White Lotus, the Frankies bikini ads 👀). She does a great job here - giving Winner vulnerability and innocence even within her guilt. Also, that one FBI agent is SO HOT. WHO IS HE?! Was the actual FBI agent that hot because then maybe that's why she was so dumb? Like, if that guy was interrogating me I would not be thinking straight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment