Sunday, April 2, 2023

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Watcher -
I like Maika Monroe a lot (just not in the Independence Day sequel), but I knew my problem with this movie was going to be that apparently NOBODY believes in window coverings. It's just so stupid. If I moved into a place and there were no window coverings, it would be the first thing on my list (or I would just tack up some sheets as a temporary solution, especially before having sex in front of the window - but I'm not a particularly voyeuristic person. I'm observant, for sure, but I don't actively seek out watching strangers nor do I want them watching me). The even more odd thing is that after multiple times of this woman seeing a creepy man watching her from across the building, she finally closes curtains (if there were curtains there the whole time then why didn't she do that in the beginning????). ANYWAY, aside from this, I like this movie - it has a really creepy feel to it, the acting is great, some interesting shots, and the pace is perfect. Burn Gorman is so good in this (and it's weird that I instantly knew it was him just from his shadowy figure. His stance and profile is so recognizable). I also like that her partner isn't outwardly an asshole to her when she starts to share her fears of being stalked - he supports her, goes to the supermarket to watch the surveillance of the stalker, and seems genuinely concerned. But we quickly realize that he doesn't actually believe her and finds it easier to support her because he can then prove to her that she's "crazy". It's gaslighting at its finest and most subtle. This could have easily been a 4 star movie, but they botched the ending (as most horror films do...). *MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD* I was so shocked, in a good way, when she is seemingly murdered by the "watcher", because they never kill the final girl! I instantly cheered, not because I wanted her murdered, but because the look of guilt and regret her partner gives the murderer when he realizes that she is not crazy, is a perfect image. And really brings home the notion that if we start BELIEVING WOMEN maybe we won't be murdered as much??? But then, she's not actually dead, because she's the final girl (UGHHHH). And it just becomes another cliched horror ending. 

2. Boston Strangler -
Not a fan of this - it's just trying to be Zodiac so badly, it makes me cringe thinking about it. There are some things I do like about this - particularly the focus on these two female journalists trying to solve this mystery over the actual depiction of murderer(s) brutally raping & killing women. They limit the violence and don't engage in this humanity aspect of murders (The Sopranos effect is still going strong. I don't mind it when it's done well, but I feel like it's overkill at this point). I also like Keira Knightley in most things and I LOVE Carrie Coon. They have good chemistry and play off of each other very well. I didn't really know much about the Boston Strangler, but I'm not really a big fan of serial killer true crime history - it's fascinating how many people are, though, and I can't help but feel that a majority of these people live very, very, good lives and watch/read/listen to true crime stuff because they've never really had bad things happen to them. If you have, a more natural reaction is to avoid stuff like this. I don't necessarily avoid it, but I certainly don't want to drown myself in material about women being violated and murdered. It's also fascinating that way too many of these murders/serial killer crimes are partially solved by people outside of law enforcement (which I think is another reason these things are so popular - people have this sort of hero complex as if they are going to be the one to solve it). This kind of goes hand in hand with my comments above on Watcher with the importance of believing women. It's a similar story with the Jeffrey Dahmer situation - there was a woman, Glenda Cleveland, who went to the police MULTIPLE times complaining about her neighbor and nobody did anything. So many lives could have been saved. Anyway, I do think it's sort of hilarious that they released this on St. Patrick's Day - a film that disparages the Boston police department as an embarrassment to law enforcement. I don't think it was done on purpose, but it's still funny. 

3. Devotion -
I haven't seen someone's career do a 180 this quickly, maybe ever? I watched this a little before Jonathon Major's arrest - and the internet could not get enough of him. With his role as Kang and the success of the new Creed movie, he was on top of the freakin' world. I haven't really formed a full opinion of him yet - he was in my favorite movie of 2021 (The Harder They Fall), but he wasn't the standout performance. I liked The Last Black Man in San Francisco but his performance wasn't rave-worthy. I LOVED Lovecraft Country, but I didn't even mention his performance in my review - he was mediocre amongst an incredibly talented cast. And I barely remember Loki at all (nor do I remember a thing about Kang). Anyway, I felt like he was becoming one of those actors that was over-praised a little too quickly, but I usually mind my business when this happens. There's still a lot we don't know about the incident that led to Major's arrest, but as I stated above - in both Watcher and Boston Strangler, the theme and lesson from both is to believe women. I obviously still believe in the law, and that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but the justice system has been a constant letdown because we simply don't believe women, as a society. Very few women lie about situations like this - and in most situations in which statements are recanted and charges are dropped it's because women just don't want to be put through the ringer again. It's like being abused all over again. I think the even bigger problem we have is that there were suddenly all of these industry people with "insider" knowledge claiming "I knew it!". I'm sorry, but these people are fucking disgusting. If you know that someone is abusive and you don't speak up until something like this happens, you're almost just as bad as an abuser. Just morally reprehensible. And I know that sometimes, you might feel like it's not your business, and if that's the case, then it's still not your business - why are you announcing your prior knowledge as some sort of badge of honor? Anyway, as far as this movie goes - it's fairly average, as I expected. I read a few really good things about it, but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it (I think it was on the top of my to-watch list for 4 weeks before I actually hit play), again it's because I think both of the leads are currently so popular, it became a little too over-praised. I do like Glen Powell, but I don't understand why he would take a role so similar to Top Gun: Maverick so quickly? He's at a pivotal moment in his career in which showing range is integral. Also, Powell is so my type, and yet...??? Nothing. But the truly disappointing thing is that this is probably the best thing I've seen Majors in - he is an acting FORCE in this. The scene with him in the mirror, is so well done (it's also filmed brilliantly). Unfortunately, nothing else about it is very memorable. It all plays out exactly how you expect it to even without knowing the story of these two men. The movie literally could have been titled Top Gun: The Forgotten War. I coincidentally watched Red Tails a few days before this, which is basically the same movie, as well. Two other observations: Is that a Jonas brother??? I'm too lazy to look it up, but LOL why are they in movies now? And men in bomber jackets = HOT. 

4. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish -
Well this is surprisingly wonderful. I know I shouldn't be surprised because it has outstanding reviews and was nominated for an Oscar for animation, but I didn't really believe the hype. I'm not really a fan of the Shrek franchise...like, at all. I hadn't seen the first Puss in Boots, so I watched that first, and was like "oh, ok that was really cute!", and then this sequel is just soooooo good. It just barely misses my Top 10 of 2022. That's how good it is. The animation is lovely, but I'm really just a sucker for stories about cute cats (and a cute dog too!). The plot is that Puss in Boots has to retire as a lap cat because he had "died" 8 times, so he's on his "last" life. He finds out a way to have his "last wish" granted that might give him more lives so he sets out on an adventure along with his partner in crime, Kitty Softpaws (from the first one), and this eager to be friends dog, Perrito. It's all just super-duper cute. And I laughed way too hard multiple times, but mostly when Perrito starts horrendously cursing and it's all bleeped out (literal tears in my eyes from laughing so hard). The voices are all perfectly cast - Antonio Banderas has been voicing this role for years and he is wonderful - he really gives a full personality to Puss in Boots that is loveable and vulnerable, while still being this suave narcissist. Plus, Salma Hayek (can't go wrong), Harvey Guillen, Olivia Colman and BEST OF ALL Florence Pugh. I adore her, but her voice is perhaps my favorite part of her. She should definitely do more voice work (preferably with Taron Egerton - can you imagine their voices TOGETHER. Also, they should date. They are both hot, goofy, charming and like to cook. Someone set them up!). 

5. Official Competition -
While I'm not in love with the movie as a whole, I absolutely love Penelope Cruz in this role and there are some unforgettable moments within it. I just realized that I did an unintentional Antonio Banderas double-bill, with wildly different movies. But, Banderas is also stunning in this - I've never really been a huge fan (other than The Skin I Live In, I can't think of another performance that really stands out for me), but there is a scene featuring him in this movie that I will remember forever. But back to Cruz, because I'm in love with her and her Natasha Lyonne hair in this. This is just such a stunning character - this sort of chaotic, rule-breaking, ingenious film director isn't exactly new, but I don't think we've ever seen this type of character portrayed as a woman film director before. The way the two male actors have to follow along with her all while calling her crazy, when you know that if the director was male they would be worshipping him. It's not really what the movie is about, but the underlying feminist statement is very clear. AND I LOVE IT. She's also very funny (when she makes the joke asking if all of his kids are from the same penis. I died.). I also like that it depicts the mind-numbing process of film-making. The table read is horrendous. The repetitiveness of it, the detail, it's all just so boring, but I feel like film-makers usually depict it as glamourous when it's not...at all. And as I said, there are some really unforgettable moments - I'll never forget her grinding up all of his awards in the metal grinder (so satisfying) and then the other actor throws in a rubber duckie (so funny!). Overall, though, it lacks consistency and structure, and the tonal shifts are really wild. I enjoyed it though and that's what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment