Monday, January 4, 2021

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Soul - Completely unexpected story. I was prepared to watch a kids animated movie, I was not prepared for a visual translation of a Death Cab for Cutie song. I thought it was about a musician trying to make his way - maybe a life-lesson about "working hard while enjoying what you're doing", might have been tossed in for good measure, but...it's actually about the human soul. I'm not sure why Pixar feels the need to try to explain complex concepts like "the soul" to children, but it feels like a spiritual sequel to Inside Out (which is a movie that I liked, but hated how audiences interpreted it as a study of depression). And, boy, does this movie have some thoughts. On the after-life, human existence, the meaning of life - it's all in there in a really jumbly, not completely coherent way. And then it all boils down to the lesson of "enjoy the little things in life", which ultimately has nothing to do with "the soul", but a great lesson for kids to learn, nonetheless. I can see why people are connecting to it, but it's not something that really connected with me. The animation is great, though. And the voice acting is all on-point. And a cat is heavily featured (obviously my favorite part!). 

2. Blackbird - The cast had me intrigued - Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet, and Mia Wasikowska. That's some talent, right there. The plot is pretty simple - this woman is dying, and decides to end her life on her own terms, so she throws a "goodbye" weekend gathering with her family. I like that it feels very genuine, and the actors all have great chemistry together, but the characters are a bit one-note and full of cliches (one sister is uptight and controlled, the other is a typical "mess"). I also think it lacks emotional resonance. The only part that kept me interested is the odd introduction of this other woman, who is obviously close to the family, but there is also a mystery about her (it becomes obvious as to what this mystery is pretty quickly). And I know it shouldn't matter, but I think showing this family as wealthy makes them so unrelatable. It's never really spoken about, but the house that this story takes place in makes it very obvious that this family is very privileged. My thoughts kept wandering to this stunning greenhouse that they have - I would love to just live in that greenhouse (side-note: I've become a bit obsessed with plants over the past few years - I was always so hesitant to have plants because of the cats. But, I started with one to see how it went, and now I have over 25 house plants and I grow my own herbs too! I have to do a bit of research first to make sure they are safe for cats - and also accept the fact that the cats will ruin some of them. The new kittens have destroyed 3 plants so far and broke my favorite pot. UGH.). Anyway, the acting is sufficient, but I think I expect more from these three - although I was surprised by Kate Winslet because it doesn't really look like her - it's not like she does much to change her appearance just the glasses and her hair pulled back combined with that preppy wardrobe - it took me a second to realize that was her (her voice gives it away - even with the American accent, her voice is so distinguished). 

3. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - It still disturbs me that I spent 4 years in college studying Drama, and was never tasked with studying August Wilson (or read any of his plays). Isn't that weird? Maybe I will correct that this year. It immediately felt like Fences - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I didn't really like Fences (I can see why the play is so vital, but it didn't work on-screen for me). There's a LOT of dialogue - and the dialogue moves with such a fast pace, and twists and turns in really unexpected ways, but it's also hard to focus on. I don't want to criticize it for that, necessarily, because the dialogue is what keeps it so lively and challenging (but, again, I think it would be really satisfying to watch as a live performance, it doesn't work for me here). The performances, though, are spectacular. Viola Davis is a force of nature in this - her mannerisms, her swagger - she just embodies this woman so well. Chadwick is also wonderful - his smile and energy is infectious. The ending is also a highlight - first, the "surprise" hits really unexpectedly and delivers just the right amount of confusion mixed with satisfaction. Second, the final shot of the white band recording the song is just heartbreaking, and a solid reflection of the point of it all. I hope that makes sense. I didn't know it was based on real people, and a real struggle that is so often fought within the music industry, which is exactly the point it's making. Overall, I think it's successful - and I think I'll remember it more than I remember Fences, even if I didn't love it. But more importantly, I read a few reviews by black critics who really connected with it, and that's what's important. People seem to forget that just because something isn't made for you, doesn't mean it doesn't hold value. 

4. Fighting with my Family - How super-freakin'-cute is this movie?! It's really unexpected. It's never even been on my radar, until I saw a picture of Florence Pugh from this movie, and didn't know where it was from. Once I looked into it, I realize that I failed to connect that that's Florence in this movie about wrestling starring The Rock. Then, I was even more surprised to see its RT score of 92%. I repeat...92%. And I have to admit, it totally deserves it! It has a great story, a really strong central performance from Pugh, really funny dialogue, and a hot guy! WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT? I laughed more than a few times (my favorite: "you should see his cock...sorry...penis...you should see his penis" - oh man, that line delivery is pure gold). AND The Rock is in it for only a few minutes - but he is hilarious ("please, sir, can I have some more advice?" I died.). I think the fact that it's about wrestling will turn a lot of people off (and I'm sure a lot of people are pumped by it, too - wrestling, amazingly, still has a shit-load of fans. I actually know of someone who writes for WWE (a past co-worker's husband - and yes, I just put parenthesis inside of parenthesis. I do what I want.) - isn't' that crazy? He writes those batshit crazy storylines and fans just eat it up.), but the story is universal and can be applied to literally any sport or talent. It's about being yourself - finding that voice that no-one else in the world has but you. It's also about not judging others, and making assumptions, working as a team, etc., and it's all just lovely. And the hot guy is Jack Lowden - I've seen him in other things and he never really stood out, but he's adorable in this. And then I made a huge mistake of googling him only to learn that he's Scottish (and possibly dating Saoirse Ronan? Good for him!). It's all over for me; soon I'll be saying "Taron, who?" (kidding...Taron is irreplaceable). 

5. Possessor - I can't imagine that it's easy to be a filmmaker living in the literal footsteps of David Cronenberg (I mean, obviously, opportunity-wise, it's much easier for him, but like critically-speaking and pressure-wise, those are some mighty footsteps). Brandon's first feature film, Antiviral, is something that still lives vividly in my mind, and I remember being really surprised by it. With this, I think it's safe to say that Brandon is clearly making a name for himself as an incredible filmmaker. Possessor is fascinating and hypnotic from beginning to end - disturbing, beautiful, stylish, gory, and slightly nightmare inducing (the scene with the skin mask is just really unsettling - I'm hoping I don't have nightmares from it, but I can't be sure. Just seeing it on the poster totally creeps me out. Also, when the kid turns to her and says "pull me out" - ugh...I get chills just thinking about it.). Andrea Riseborough is a favorite of mine (and definitely not talked about enough. She's so good - every.single.time), but I think Christopher Abbott is the stand-out performance here. He's been in so much - most memorably, The Sinner, but he really proves himself here. He reminds me of the guy who plays Jon Snow (you know, the guy who can't act at all) combined with the guy from The Expanse. Like if you showed me a picture of the three of them together I might not be able to tell the difference between them. Anyway, I absolutely love this movie - will most definitely be one of my favorites from 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment