Thursday, October 15, 2020

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Gloria Bell -
I enjoyed this movie - it's so rare to see a film starring a woman in her 50s happily living life to the fullest. She makes being this age look FUN. Like, I want to be her in 15 years (Hell, I want to be her now - she's certainly having more fun than I am). Also, I just looked up how old Julianne Moore is and she's going to be 60 this year. Holy shit. She's fucking stunning. The movie is cute. I like that's it about a relationship that doesn't work out, but she doesn't let it destroy her (and the moment at the end when she gets "revenge" is just so good. It made me laugh for days). I also like the small family moments; it all feels very real and authentic. I wasn't expecting to see Michael Cera, but he's been missed. 


2. Velvet Buzzsaw -
I didn't know what this movie was about - only that it was a Nightcrawler reunion (written & directed by Dan Gilroy, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo) and that's enough to peak my interest. I was not expecting it to be a haunted art story, nor was I expecting it to be so outlandishly absurd. It held my interest though, because it's super weird, really well acted (Toni Collette is also in it - and she is the best!), and I had no idea where the story was going. The opening credits are also super cool. I like the dialogue around art and art "snobs" - honestly going to art galleries is the worst (and it shouldn't be) because people are so fucking snooty. It's hard for me to enjoy things like that. There is also some strong opinions on critics (*spoiler* as a "bad" review causes someone to kill themselves). It's tough because I understand the work and energy that artists put into their creations and it's something so personal - to have it publicly shit on by critics is probably really devastating, but I also think we should be able to discuss art freely without worrying about people's feelings. There's a way to do it that's respectful, though, and I don't think that's considered nowadays. I'm guilty of it myself, but I'm also not a professional critic and have very little reach in the world. Anyway, this movie goes a little off the rails for my taste - but like I said, I was completely invested for the whole thing. It's certainly intriguing. 

3. Never Rarely Sometimes Always - *spoilers* 
I like this movie, even though I have a hard time with the subject matter and I also think the timeline of events is confusing (possibly editing issues? More on this in a minute). I think it's really important to tell stories like this - of real women who have to face the toughest decision of their lifetime. It's so easy to judge someone else's decisions but in reality there is so much "grey" and I guarantee you that no woman makes the decision lightly. I like that they make this girl's story very grey - we have no idea how she got pregnant. I assumed in the beginning that she may have been raped by her father (a very strange, tense relationship is implied), but she also admits to having multiple sexual partners in her questionnaire. This scene is probably the best of the whole film - it's so quiet, but stunning in the way that it depicts what life is like for many young girls. The "never, rarely, sometimes, always" questions and answers will break your heart. And the way the counselor is so soothing in her questions with no judgement in her voice is so wonderful (I hope that's how they are all trained, but sadly I don't think that's the case). I also like how they showed how alone this girl is (even though she has her cousin, she has NO adults supporting her which is devastating). I was shocked by a few things, though. The way she is treated in the clinic in PA is disgusting but also confusing - why did she go there? It's a place designated to convince women to not have abortions. I find it hard to believe that a fully capable 17 year old wouldn't have done some research first? And I don't understand why they lied and told her she was less far along in the pregnancy than she actually is. If they are going to lie, wouldn't they tell her the opposite? As in, sorry you're too far along for an abortion anyway so you have no choice? But then, I was actually shocked by NY abortion laws. Honestly, I don't keep up with abortion laws, but I had no idea NY is 24 weeks for abortions. I thought 12 weeks was the standard, and anything after that was emergency based only. And they will do abortions on minors without parental consent? EEEEK. I have...no comment, other than EEEEK. Anyway, back to the timeline thing - I don't understand why they sleep in NY the one night, but then go home in between the 2 day procedure? It doesn't make any sense. Where did they sleep? At home? And how did they get the money to go back again? I feel like scenes were either cut, or they changed the timeline in the middle of making the movie. (also side note: I know NYC has changed a lot over the past 15 or so years, but I can't tell you how many times from 2000-2005 I slept on the floor of Grand Central Station and never had a problem with authorities - drunk girls and train schedules don't get along well. You miss the last train out and you are fucked). I have two other comments - first, I thought for a little while that this movie took place in the 90s because of how they are dressed - flannel shirts, chokers, Dr Martens, but then I remembered that the 90s are back (fucking kill me). And second, the main actress, Sidney Flanigan, is stunning, especially for a debut performance. She also has a wonderful voice. The song she sings in the beginning is so beautiful. 

4. The Glorias -
Truly unexpectedly awful (also complete coincidence that I watched two movies in the same week in which Julianne Moore plays a woman named "Gloria"). I have so many issues with this movie, it's hard to decide where to begin. I guess my biggest problem is with Alicia Vikander. I actually really like her, but she is in way over her head with this iconic role. It's quite embarrassing to be honest. There is such a stark difference in emotional impact when you compare her Gloria with Moore's Gloria; especially in the scenes in which they share the screen. Another issue I have is that the title implies that she is different people at different points in her life - which is an excellent idea for a biopic, but instead the film is fairly straightforward and I never really see a change in character other than getting older and wiser. I don't like the scenes in which she confronts her younger self because honestly it's just plain dumb (Rocketman did this too, although minimally, and its probably the only fault I can find in that film). The film completely lacks focus, which I think can be said of Gloria, herself. She really had her hand in EVERY issue regarding feminism - which is great, but also, at times ineffective. I read the book that this is based on (My Life on the Road), and it doesn't feel as chaotic as this movie, but it's much harder to boil someone like Steinem down to 2 1/2 hours (and of course, it's way too fucking long!). Gloria was involved in the making of this (as it's based on her memoir and she shows up at the end -which is completely unnecessary), which is ultimately the thing that irks me the most. There is no critical thought - Steinem is literally portrayed as a fucking saint (and even in the moments in which she is criticized, it's used to gain sympathy for her). As I said with my thoughts on Mrs. America, I adore Gloria - she is a legend, but she's not perfect; I would have appreciated a biopic that shows her faults along with her accomplishments. Also, it's been so long since I've seen Barbra Streisand, that I actually questioned who this woman doing the bad Streisand impression was. I can't believe I didn't recognize that that's actually her. I feel so dumb. OH and I also forgot that Steinem married for a little while and wondered to myself what happened to her marriage so I googled it - and was dumbfounded in realizing that Steinem was married to Christian Bale's dad!!! How insane is that? He died of Cancer four years into their marriage. Anywho - this movie will probably make it into my Worst of 2020 list just because it bothered me that much.

5. Cats -
I'm truly speechless. I'm not sure how anyone ever thought this was a good idea anyway? Like, what dumbass really thought that this idea would work on screen? And how did so many people go along with it? Like actual talented people (Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, JUDY DENCH!). It's not even one of those movies that is entertainingly bad - it's an assault on your senses. When it was over, my eyes hurt from wincing at the awful, awful special effects and I felt actual pain in my eardrums from what I guess was singing from people who CAN'T sing (like James Corden and Rebel Wilson). Thank God they had Jennifer Hudson sing the most famous (and probably most difficult) song "Memory". I've never seen the Broadway play (and you'd think it would be right up my alley seeing that I love Broadway and I love cats, but it never appealed to me. It always seemed a bit creepy instead of cute). It doesn't seem like there is an actual plot, though? I honestly couldn't tell you what it's about. I also don't understand why they all have different accents but it takes place in London (how did the American cats get there??). And...are some of them wearing FUR COATS? Is it cat fur? Why would they need a fur coat if they naturally have fur???? The scaling of objects is really off too. Oh and I have nothing against Taylor Swift, but casting her as a "vixen" is just one of the many, many, many terrible decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment