Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good

- The "expected" Dramas making the cut - Better Call Saul, Killing Eve, and The Crown are definitely the best Dramas currently on television (I have not seen Succession yet)

- Schitt's Creek finally getting real Emmy love (15 nominations!!). It should have been showered with awards from the beginning, but I'll take what I can get.

- A shocking but lovely nomination for What We Do in the Shadows 

- Watchmen leading the way with an astounding 26 nominations and they deserve every. single. one. of them.

- The Lead Actress in a Drama Series category - Jesus Christ, that's some fucking talent listed (although I have not seen Euphoria and I haven't been a fan of Zendaya's acting in the past - I still really, really like her). Ditto for the Supporting Actress in a Limited Series category (Jean Smart, Tracey Ullman, Toni Collette, Margo Martindale - how does one choose?)

-  The snubbing of both Ryan Murphy Netflix shows (The Politician and Hollywood), they are both terrible but the Emmys tend to love Murphy (and it's usually warranted), so I was nervous.

The Bad

- The "surprise" Dramas making the cut - I enjoyed both Stranger Things and The Mandalorian, but they are not Emmy worthy (the first season of Stranger Things maybe, but definitely not the most recent season). The Mandalorian is good, but mostly because of Baby Yoda. Although I do like that sci-fi/fantasy shows are being recognized (but I think they should have their own category!)

- I'm continuously surprised by the love for Ozark - I have not yet watched the third season, but the first two ranged from good to mediocre and have never been award-worthy, in my opinion (and don't even get me started on Julia Garner...).

- Saturday Night Live is STILL getting nominations - and 15 of them! I...just...don't understand.

The Snubbed 

- Um, Bob Odenkirk??? What in the actual fuck? I never expected a snub for him, but was expecting it for Rhea Seehorn (doesn't make it right, though). Both have given spectacular and memorable performances this year on Better Call Saul. It's downright shameful to ignore both of them.

- My favorite comedy on television right now is Better Things and Pamela Adlon is a Goddamn genius.

- Merritt Wever for Unbelievable 

- I recently started watching The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance and it is great (better than The Mandalorian), so if they are going to finally recognize sci-fi/fantasy then this should have been the way to go (plus, Taron Egerton should have gotten a Voice-Over nomination, but I also realize that I am BIASED with a capital B).

No comments:

Post a Comment