Sunday, June 7, 2020

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. The Plot Against America - I love alternate history shows (The Man in the High Castle is probably the most famous recent one, and it is wonderful). This is a little less on the sci-fi side, and just straight-up tells a story as if Charles Lindbergh beats Theodore Roosevelt during the presidential election of 1940, from the point of view of a Jewish American family. It's definitely a slow burn story, and each episode is told with a significant time gap between them, so sometimes it feels like you missed something. But overall, I thought it was done really well. And the cast is absolutely wonderful - especially Zoe Kazan (who I'm usually not a fan of) and Morgan Spector (I had to look up his name because even though he is a recognizable actor from Homeland and Boardwalk Empire, I don't think I've ever known what his name was and I was surprised at how much his name does NOT match his person at all. Also, I discovered that he's married to Rebecca Hall! What a lucky man.). I'm glad that it's left as a mini-series instead of a multi-season show. I think more shows should follow this lead. It's such a better way to tell an effective story if you know how long you have to tell it.

2. Another Life - I watched this show because it seemed like it had a Battlestar Galactica vibe, with the addition of Starbuck as the main actress (Katee Sackhoff for the win!). But it's really, really cheesy. I'm not sure how I even lasted through the whole thing. It's got some great sci-fi ideas, but for some reason they also throw in these soap opera type romance plot points that are truly hard to watch (like the threesome relationship - with the girl now being pregnant, but WHICH ONE IS THE FATHER? Lol. Who cares?I want to watch some aliens fuck shit up.). It's also really stupid - the amount of times they go into "unknown" territory without a helmet, and just touch random alien stuff, is just exhausting. There's also a character named Michelle who talks like me (sadly, I regress into my natural valley girl speak far too often. I get made fun of all the time for it, but I laugh along because I DESERVE IT), but the difference is - I'M NOT A COMMUNICATIONS EXPERT (that's her actual title. I can't.). It's been renewed for a second season, and I admit that I will watch it - mostly because I'm interested in Selma Blair's storyline.

3. Normal People - I had some issues with this show, mostly because I read about the show beforehand - so expectations were made. First, and most aggravatingly, there was this notion that this show was extremely "real", but there is nothing real about pretending that Marianne isn't attractive for the first few episodes (she suddenly becomes "hot" once they are in college, but she looks...the same). It's a disgrace, and I think it's hurtful to women to portray someone that fucking stunning as someone who isn't attractive. ANYWAY. Second, I don't understand why they changed the narrative of the book about her having an abusive father? Is it because her interest in BDSM would be that much more problematic? I feel like a whole part of her story is just completely erased. I haven't read the book, but after I watched the show I read about it, and a light went on for me - like "OH, that explains so much!". As someone who had an abusive father, I can deeply relate to her psychological issues, but I didn't even make that connection while watching it. Third, is honest communication really that hard for people? I mean, all of their problems wouldn't exist if they just...talked to each other. Aside from this, I really enjoyed this show. The acting is phenomenal - and I think they did a really good job at creating characters that felt layered and flawed, but still people that you root for. It's also beautifully made.

4. Space Force - Two separate people described this show to me as "the funniest show I've ever seen". Just think about that hyperbole for a minute, try to wrap your head around it, because it just blows my mind. And the worst part is that it's funny, but I can think of probably 100 funnier television shows (maybe even more than that...). The cast is great - but most are under-utilized (I mean, the great Jane Lynch has like 10 lines spread out through the whole season). The only actors allowed to shine are Steve Carell and John Malkovich (and he's just so great. Probably steals every scene he has with his dry humor). I think they do a good job of simultaneously making fun of the "Space Force" while also explaining its importance to the future of humanity. I hesitate to say anything positive about our president, but this may be the only thing he did that wasn't awful? I mean, I can think of more important and crucial ways to spend money right now, but exploring space is still a beautiful and inspiring thing.

5. Solar Opposites - If you're a fan of Rick and Morty then you'll probably enjoy this (I like Rick and Morty just fine, but I do think it's a bit over-praised). It's an easy show to binge - I think I watched it all within 48 hours and you don't have to do much thinking. I usually love to hear recognizable voices in animated shows/movies, but Adam Goldberg's voice is almost too distinguishable. It was distracting (and I mean the kid who plays Adam Goldberg, not actual Adam Goldberg). The plot reminds me of 3rd Rock from the Sun (remember that show?! I loved it so much. Had a super huge crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt back in the day). There is also this weird side-story that is much more interesting than the main plot that I think (and hope) will be explored more in season two.

No comments:

Post a Comment