Monday, May 25, 2020

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Lodge - I didn't know much about this movie, but I really like Riley Keough. I didn't expect it to be scary, so the fact that it's not, isn't a disappointment. I didn't expect it be so...psychologically interesting, though. So that was a nice surprise. This is a movie that I've thought about multiple times since viewing it, and I absolutely love it when that happens. *spoilers ahead* The plot is pretty simple - man leaves wife for younger woman (UGH...men. Also, great casting Alicia Silverstone because Riley does look a bit like her so it hits that "younger version" point really hard). The wife kills herself, leaving their two children distraught and confused. A few months later (I think 6?), the children are left alone with the "new" girlfriend in a secluded cabin and some creepy shit starts to happen. This alone would make for a great horror movie plot, but the story goes even deeper - like the fact that the girlfriend is also the lone survivor of a mass cult suicide. The audience is left to question her sanity, while also questioning the children's motives. And, I actually began to sympathize with her (I think you're supposed to sympathize with the children from the beginning, but they did such a great job of making everything so "grey"). I think the whole creepy dollhouse was an unnecessary addition, but other than that it felt very efficient. Plus the last 15 minutes are spectacular. Moral of the story: Don't fuck with a crazy person.

2. In the Shadow of the Moon - I forgot all about this movie! I wanted to see it because it stars Michael C. Hall and it's about serial killers, but I don't even remember it being released and now it suddenly appeared on Netflix as a Netflix Original. So weird! Anyway, it's not exactly what I was expecting. First, Hall isn't actually in it that much. The star is actually Boyd Holbrook (I only know him from Narcos, but he is excellent). Second, it's got a sci-fi twist! And actually it's a great twist, but I was expecting something more gritty and realistic - I think it was originally advertised as an late 70s/early 80s cop thriller (which is what it starts off as, but it sure ends on a completely different spectrum). Third, the killer is a woman! Pretty rare for serial killers to be women. Fourth, it's unfortunately really, really boring. It's really repetitive, as it tracks the story from decade to decade. It did hit a nerve for me, at the distressing idea of having your wife/partner die while giving birth. That's automatically a tragedy, but I never really thought about the fact that you will forever have to celebrate your child's birthday on the anniversary of the death of someone you loved, and it would probably be pretty depressing to have the tradition of going to a cemetery on your birthday. But that's about the only thing that struck me about this movie. Otherwise, it's pretty forgettable.

3. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - I actually enjoyed the first one, which was unexpected. It was so much better than it had any right to be. I also thought Angelina did such a fantastic job with this role. I also forgot that it's Elle Fanning in the role of Aurora. She's been doing such strong work over the past 6 years, it's hard to see her in such a mediocre role like this (I'm so excited to watch The Great - just trying to catch up on some other stuff before I start something new). And I'm pretty sure Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't in the first one, but boy was I glad to see her! She's a queen (literally, in this, but also in life). However, this sequel is such a mess. I don't even have the energy to dissect it all. It's just overall, one of the worst movies I've watched in a while (and I've watched some bad shit over the last few weeks). It feels never-ending, as well. It kind of has the same basic message as in the first one - which is that Maleficent isn't actually the evil one of the story. I'm not sure a sequel was ever necessary to begin with. BUT, there is one thing that is fantastic in this - and that is Pfeiffer's wardrobe of being absolutely drenched in pearls. I would DIE for that pearl capelet. DIE.

4. The Wedding Guest - Great plot, boring movie. And it's not really a plot that I've seen much of before, so I feel like there is a good movie here, but somehow they fucked it up. It's crazy to me that arranged marriages are still a thing in certain cultures. But, I also think marriage, in general, is pretty crazy. So, I'm probably not the best judge (and I've read a lot about how people in arranged marriages are actually happier, which is pretty interesting). Even though the plot is filled with a lot of twists and double-crosses, it's still all very predictable and none of it is done to the proper dramatic effect - meaning that none of it is told with a sense of urgency or danger (it's categorized as a thriller, not a drama). Also, the title isn't the greatest choice - it implies that it's about a wedding, which is not true at all. Dev Patel is a really great actor, though. I wasn't the biggest fan of Slumdog Millionaire (and the attention he received from it), but he's been consistently great in every project since (and he was great on Skins too, duh). He definitely carries the movie, but not enough to actually make it interesting.

5. Ready or Not - YESSSSS! I fucking love this movie so much. There are very few movies that I unequivocally love from last year (Rocketman and Queen & Slim - that's it!). It's also pretty rare for me to love horror movies (I think the last one I truly loved was The Babadook). So I was so happy when the movie ended and I was smiling from ear to ear. It's just so much fun. It's also not 100% a horror movie - more dark comedy/thriller. And Samara Weaving is spectacular (and I may have developed a thing for blondes? WTF is happening to me? Samara, Lily James, Margot Robbie, Blake Lively...they're all so hot). The plot is absolutely bonkers, and not believable in any way, shape, or form. But they all just go for it, and it just makes for a really fun ride. At first, I just kept shaking my head at the absurdity of the plot (I mean, REALLY?), but it quickly won me over (probably at the scene where she puts the sneakers on - like she's ready to fuck shit up). I really thought I was going to be disappointed by the end, but nope - it really just goes to another level of straight-up awesome (and stays with the "this is ridiculous" tone). Plus, Adam-fucking-Brody! He needs to be in more movies. I adore him.

No comments:

Post a Comment