Thursday, October 31, 2019

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. 12 Strong - Very typical war film, but such an unbelievable (true) story. I feel like Chris Hemsworth is going to take all of the roles that Marky Mark is now too old for. It's very "Go America Go!", which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel a bit like Propaganda. There's a fairly large supporting cast, but all of them are unmemorable. Even my favorite, Michael Pena! I forgot he was even in the movie until I just looked up the cast (because I couldn't remember anyone else except for Chris). I don't think I like Chris with an American accent. He's not bad at it, but his natural accent definitely helps his screen presence. Without it, he's a bit dull. Also, I love that his real wife was in it - Elsa Pataky. She is stunning. Anyway, there's not much else to say about the movie. It's exactly what your expecting it to be. Nothing particular stands out in any way, except maybe that a modern war battle was fought using horses. That's fascinating (and true!). Also, on a side note, I think stories like this are extremely important right now. There is this whole backlash against masculinity (because people apparently can't tell the difference between "toxic masculinity" and "healthy masculinity"), but this masculine trait to be the "hero" is what drives people to such dangerous activities and it is absolutely necessary.

2. Boy Erased - Another extremely important and heartbreaking story, based on Garrard Conley's memoir about his time in Conversion Therapy. Directed by Joel Edgerton, who did a great job directing his debut, The Gift, I was very intrigued. Overall, I think this film is very good - mostly due to the wonderful acting performances by Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe. And a very small, but very memorable scene from Joe Alwyn. I looked him up, because the performance was that good, and now I realize I recognize him as Taylor Swift's boyfriend (and apparently he was in Mary Queen of Scots, but I don't remember him because none of men were memorable). There's a bit of a twist with his character that I wasn't expecting that makes the whole story a bit more complicated - and is commentary on "toxic masculinity", in case you're confused. There is also, obvious commentary, on the role that religion plays in homophobia. I'm interested to read the book, because I feel like the film plays it a little safe. I just don't think it went deep enough. I also think it should have been more than an afterthought to expose the fact that the guy running the center is gay.

3. Booksmart - Honestly, this movie is a big disappointment for me. I was expecting something...so much more, based on all of the incredible reviews and my love of Superbad (it just might be my favorite comedy of all-time). I've been a fan of Olivia Wilde since The O.C., and I think it's super cool that she directed a movie that received so much critical acclaim. I'm glad others enjoyed it, but for me, it just wasn't very funny, or original, and it definitely didn't feel genuine. I was entertained, don't get me wrong, but mostly because of Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever (who is fantastic in Unbelievable. I'm on episode 5 and I am in love with it). Their chemistry is great, and is about the only genuine thing in the movie. The rest of it feels really forced - especially all of the supporting characters. Just really cliched, and the dialogue is cringe-worthy. I fully admit that I just might be too old for this type of movie, maybe this is how high schoolers act (which if true, the human race is in big trouble). The class of '99 is extremely different than the class of '19 (yes, my 20 year reunion was this year. I'm officially an old lady.), but we definitely had better high school movies (10 Things I Hate About You, Can't Hardly Wait, American Pie - absolute classics). Also, it's weird that a movie that epitomizes "woke" culture has teachers that are so predatory. How is that acceptable?

4. Us - I have such mixed feelings about this movie. It's simultaneously absolutely brilliant and ridiculously dumb. But, the originality of it, is what I appreciate most. It takes so much from other horror/suspense films (the biggest inspiration I felt was Invasion of the Body Snatchers), but is truly its own thing. Also, I thought about it for days afterwards, and that is always a good thing. I don't get scared very easily, but every time I closed my eyes I saw the image of Young Adelaide and it was honestly terrifying (kids are fucking creepy). Lupita Nyong'o is fabulous - it's rare for Horror to be recognized come awards time, but she is definitely deserving of some recognition (and Get Out was definitely loved, so their is hope for this). And, I will admit that Elisabeth Moss didn't bother me that much - she actually did a great job. I read a few articles about this movie afterwards to see how people felt about the last act, and it seems people were surprised by the last twist which is shocking to me. I feel like it is very obvious, particularly during the scene where Young Adelaide is at the therapists office. And I watched the film, with full knowledge of the twist. I wonder how my viewing would have been had I not figured it out so quickly? It's just weird to me that avid film viewers found the twist shocking. I sort of question their ability to analyze film, which I know is mean, but....really? You didn't see that coming??? Anyway, I definitely recommend this movie, it's one of my favorites of the year (but I've only seen like 20 movies from 2019. I'm sooooo behind), just go in with the knowledge that it's a bit stupid.

5. Stuber - I was in the mood for something dumb, so this was at the top of the list. Kumail Nanjiani is hilarious, and Dave Bautista proves to be really funny in the Guardians movies. It kind of reminds me of a more old-school type of comedy (like Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon, etc.), and sometimes that's exactly what you're in the mood for. It moves quickly, has a solid plot, funny dialogue, and likeable characters. My favorite scene is with Steve Howey - I don't know why, but I think he is hilarious and this was the perfect part for him (he's also my second favorite actor/character on the American Shameless, behind Lip, of course). I feel like they were setting up for a sequel with the way the film ended, but I don't think this did very well at the box office...? I would watch a sequel though. It's a shame that Karen Gillan didn't have a bigger role (it's also weird that she's in the biggest movies in the world and no-one in America would recognize her). The worst thing this movie has going for it is obviously the title. Who thought that was a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment