Friday, July 19, 2019

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good 

-The Emmys really fucked up last year by not nominated Jodie Comer (or Killing Eve). I think they will try and correct their mistake this year by giving her the win.

-Yay for Schitt's Creek! It's not even their best season, which always seems awkward to me when that happens, but I am so excited for them nonetheless. I really wish Dan Levy snuck in a nod, but I'll take what I can get.

-The "Limited Series" category is really messing things up - I think if it has multiple seasons (like True Detective) it should be included in the Drama or Comedy category (and we should add different genre categories instead - like Fantasy/Sci-Fi - it's weird that they separate the category in terms of cinematography and costume, but not acting or overall category?), but there were some excellent ones nominated - like Fosse/Verdon (I think it might sweep the category, although Chernobyl has picked up a lot of media attention. Escape at Dannemora aired too long ago and already received its awards).

-I'm glad people haven't forgotten about Better Call Saul. I feel like it's been years since the previous season aired, but it's excellent television.

-If you're unsure of whether to watch Bojack Horseman, watch the "Free Churro" episode. It blew me away. Glad it's been recognized.

-The Big Bang Theory getting snubbed for its final season is hilarious. Sorry, but that show was complete garbage (and YES, I've tried to watch it on multiple occasions and it was GARBAGE).


The Bad

- I am still a few seasons behind Game of Thrones, but I haven't come across a season yet that I was blown away by. As a whole, the series is a spectacle, for sure, but each season has dragged and there are too many characters to pay attention to them all. And the acting has been questionable for its entirety (the only good actors the show has is Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage). I just find it really hard to believe that 9 actors deserved a nomination for the final season unless they all got extreme acting lessons.

-Ozark??? Really??? Over so many other shows that got snubbed? Also, I think Julia Garner is one of the worst actresses currently getting work (and solid work that should go to other talented people).

- I love This is Us, but compared to everything television has given us this year - it just doesn't compare.

The Snubbed

-There's just so much tv, and so many good shows nowadays, it's too hard to even choose the best. The amount of snubbed performances and shows is overwhelming but the biggest one that stands out to me - Rob McElhenney for It's Always Sunny. I would have been happy for an acting, writing, or directing nod for that spectacular finale scene. I'm shocked that it didn't get even one nomination?

-Homecoming. It's stunning television, with a movie star in the lead. How does it get overlooked? (it did get a well-deserved Cinematography nod).

-This will likely be the last time I mention it - since it's been cancelled, but Counterpart is the show that everyone missed out on - and it should be nominated in several categories.

-I don't watch many reality shows, but the new revamped Project Runway was pretty satisfying. And I cried like a baby when the winner was announced and tearfully screamed "this is what America stands for!".

-The list goes on: Pamela Adlon for Better Things, Emma Stone for Maniac, Shameless (for several acting categories, but specifically Emmy Rossum), Brooklyn Nine-Nine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment