Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fall Movie Preview: 15 Movies that I am Excited About

1. Maps to the Stars 9/? - David Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, so obviously this is at the top of my list. I was really surprised by his previous film with Robert Pattinson, because Pattinson is a terrible actor, but Cronenberg still made it work. Maps to the Stars looks like a fascinating (and horrifying) look into the Hollywood elite. The cast is fantastic: Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska and Olivia Williams.

2. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them 9/12 - I can't wait for this movie!!! The trailer blew me away. I'm most excited by the "gimmick" behind it; because I actually had this idea 10 years ago (aaaaaaaahhhhh!). My original senior project in college was a play about a couple in a relationship told from both perspectives - I wanted to do a split stage type thing with one side from the male perspective and the other from the female perspective. The logistics behind it frustrated me and I ended up writing a screenplay instead (with a completely different subject). Anyway, I'm glad someone turned this idea into a film, and I'm even more ecstatic that James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain are involved. I can't even contain my excitement. So, "Them" is being released first, but I will definitely watch both the "Him" and "Her" versions when they are released in October, as well.

3. The Skeleton Twins 9/12 - Awful, awful title, but the trailer is super cute. I laughed, I almost cried, and I've been thinking about it since - just from the trailer. I adore Kristin Wiig now (I didn't when she was on SNL - I actually hated her. Imagine that.). This role looks perfect for her, and I can definitely see her and Bill Hader as twins. Plus, any movie that features Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", has my attention.

4. This is Where I Leave You 9/19 - I'm not on board the Adam Driver express train. I've only seen him in Girls (and I've only seen the first season), and I don't get it. He doesn't do weirdo, creepy guy any better than anyone else who has tried. It's not exactly a hard role. I'm still willing to give him a chance though. Hopefully, this movie will change my mind. I love everyone else in this movie: Tina Fey, Jason Bateman, Connie Britton and Jane Fonda.

5. Gone Girl 10/3 - I haven't read the book, and I refuse to watch the trailer (or any pre-trailer stuff), because I want to see it with a fresh mind. I'm a huge fan of David Fincher, although, I don't love all of his movies (Benjamin Button is a terrible movie), his great movies are among favorites (Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac). I also think Ben Affleck can give an incredible performance when his heart is in it (Argo, Good Will Hunting, The Town). I'm not a fan of Rosamund Pike - I want to be, but she is terrible in both Wrath of Titans and Jack Reacher. Maybe Fincher can get something more out of her. I've heard both good and bad things about the book, but I am most intrigued about the "shocking" third act.

6. Kill the Messenger 10/10 - Jeremy Renner!!! That's all I got.

7. Birdman 10/17 - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is one of my top 5 favorite directors. Amores Perros and 21 Grams are among my favorite movies, and Babel, while it's not one of my favorites is still a beautifully made movie. I severely miss his partnership with writer, Guillermo Arriaga. I don't think either have them have excelled in their work since the dissolution of this partnership. This movie looks completely different from anything Inarritu has previously done, but it still looks fascinating. And very relevant to the status of "former A-list celebrities". The cast includes Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Naomi Watts (who gave her best performance ever in 21 Grams) and Emma Stone.

8. Men, Women & Children 10/? - Jason Reitman really disappointed me with Labor Day. Like, really, really, really disappointed me. I'm willing to forgive, though. Hoping this movie is back to form. He excels at dark comedy (like Thank You For Not Smoking - brilliant movie).

9. Laggies 10/24 - I think this is a movie my mom will want to see, so I've added it to my list. My mom goes to the movies maybe twice a year, so if she is excited about a movie, then I am excited. Chloe Grace Moretz is one of my favorite young actresses and I absolutely adore Sam Rockwell. He's been in two of my favorite movies of the last two years (Seven Psychopaths and The Way Way Back), so maybe he will go for 3 in a row!

10. Interstellar 11/7 - I'm going blind for this one. I trust that the trailer looks fantastic. I trust that the movie will be, at the very least, interesting. I'm not as big of a Nolan fan as most movie fans - Batman Begins is my favorite movie of his, which is a deeply unpopular opinion. Still, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Inception all ended up on my "Best of" list the year that they came out, and I assume Interstellar will too.

11. Big Hero 6 11/7 - Oh my God...this movie looks so cute. The trailer makes me laugh so hard. I don't even know why, but that marshmallow robot thing trying to pick up the ball, it gets me every time. I don't even know anything else about the movie, but apparently there are 5 other "hero" characters that are not shown in the trailer.

12. Rosewater 11/7 - Gael Garcia Bernal is one of those actors who always chooses solid roles. He's in one of my favorite movies of all time, (Yes, I'm mentioning Amores Perros twice in one post); and a few other movies that I love (most recently The Loneliest Planet - I'm still thinking about that one). The real reason that I want to see this, though, is to support John Stewart in his directorial debut. The story is personal to John, but important for the world to see. I think some people dismiss Stewart as a comedian, but he has brought a lot of attention to issues that Americans don't get from their local news programs.  

13. Fury 11/14 - Brad Pitt. WWII. David Ayer. Shia LaBeouf. I'm all in.

14. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 11/21 - I loved how Catching Fire ended. I'm hoping that the whole "games" thing is over and now it's all about a revolution. I haven't read the books, but I'm positive that they could have made Mockingjay into one movie, so I'm nervous that they are going to drag out a great plot and beat it to death. I've been impressed with the first two movies; so I just have to have a little faith that this will impress as well.

15. Horrible Bosses 2 11/26 - I liked the first one; not enough for it to merit a sequel, but I'll still watch it. I love Charlie Day. The scene in the first movie of him singing "That's Not My Name" has been burned in my memory forever. It's a scene that I think about when I am down and it always brings a smile to my face. I'm not a big fan of Jason Sudeikis, though. I don't really think he's very funny (and he's not hot, like, at all).  I love that they cast Christoph Waltz. That could be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment