Sunday, January 6, 2013

5 New Shows I am Looking Forward to

After a disappointing Fall television season, I am happy to say that I am looking forward to the Mid-season.  Some of my favorite shows are FINALLY returning (Archer, Community, Southland), but there are also some promising new shows.  Here are the ones that I will be watching:

1. Deception - A show from a writer/producer of Friday Night Lights, starring Victor Garber and Tate Donovan described as a Revenge-y drama???  Sold.  As ludicrous as Revenge has become (seriously, I am not sure I understand the plot this season....at all), it is still super fun, soap-like television.  Deception has a juicy "whodunit" plot and could very well be my next guilty pleasure show. 

2. 1600 Penn - The preview was a little worrisome.  I didn't laugh at all and it was actually quite boring.  I will give it a few more episodes to lay out the groundwork, hoping for some more humor.  Critics are describing it as a new Modern Family, which sounds promising, but I clearly remember laughing my ass off during the pilot episode of Modern Family.  There have been a lot of shows dealing with the oval office, but none have been 1/2 hour sitcoms.  Of course, I have to watch anything that has Bill Pullman as president.

3. The Following - Holy crap.  This show looks amazing.  Serial-killer drama that seems down-right terrifying from Kevin Williamson - someone who knows horror (Scream) AND television drama (Dawson's Creek, The Vampire Diaries).  I love Kevin Bacon, although when I look at him, I can't help but think of him in Sleepers - *shudders*.  He is a terrific film actor, who spent four years looking for a television project.  I'm sure he had hundreds of projects thrown at him, so if he chose this, it must be good. 

4. The Americans - I am currently watching season 1 of Homeland; I have 2 episodes left, so I am reserving judgement. BUT, one (of many) of my criticisms is that the entire plot of season 1 (so far) could fill up just one episode of Alias. From the previews of The Americans, I have the same sense - and I am pretty sure that this exact plot was an episode of Alias, I am sure I will get annoyed.  However, I love spy shows, so I am willing to give it a shot (nothing has come close to Alias).

5. The Carrie Diaries - HAHAHA! Totally kidding.  I am usually a sucker for The CW's teen drama's but this show looks horrific (Yes, I am biased, considering I loathe Sex and the City). 

No comments:

Post a Comment