Monday, October 1, 2012

3 Reasons to See Looper....NOW!



1. It's something different - If you want to support original, smart, bold and creative film-making, then go see this movie in the theater!!  Like Brick and The Brothers Bloom, Rian Johnson created something fantastically bizarre.  I don't want to over-hype it, because it isn't a perfect film by any means, however, it is extremely entertaining brain candy. 

2. JGL and the rest of the cast - If you read this blog, then you know my love for JGL.  I wouldn't say this is his best role, but he keeps the sci-fi elements grounded in a very realistic character.  It seems from most reviews that I have read, people don't seem to mind the physical transformation made to his face to create the younger Bruce Willis effect, but I would have to disagree.  I felt it was terribly distracting and unnecessary.  It also seemed to limit JGL's facial movements, which I think was detrimental to an otherwise terrific performance.  Bruce Willis is awesome as Bruce Willis (like old-school Die Hard Bruce Willis).  Emily Blunt, Jeff Daniels and Paul Dano all make up a brilliant supporting cast.  The real star of the movie is Pierce Gagnon (the little boy).  Seriously, the whole plot of the film rests on this boys shoulders and he was astonishingly creepy. Like, horror movie creepy. 

3. You'll want to watch it again - It's a sci-fi tale about time travel (and other "powers"), yet on first viewing, it was very easy to understand.  Everything that was necessary to create a believable future world was explained without becoming too simple (although it was very clear that the couple sitting in front of me had no idea what was going on, as they kept explaining the plot to each other).  However, I am certain that when I watch it again, there will be several moments that I missed with the first viewing, scenes and dialogue that will work on another level, etc.  This is what makes a great movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment