Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer Movie Preview: 13 Films That I Am Excited About

1. The Avengers 5/4 – Aside from Iron Man, I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of the films that lead up to The Avengers.  The rest of them are ok, but far from spectacular.  So, why am I excited about it then??  Well, since I did enjoy Iron Man,  I am simply hopeful for the same amount of awesomeness.  I was disappointed with the casting of Thor and Captain America (Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans – pretty but booooring) and the casting of Hulk proved problematic so I am looking forward to some new faces; especially Jeremy Renner (more on my love for him later).  I like the idea of all these loner superhero’s forced to work together.  Plus, the trailer is fantastic.  But really the biggest reason for my excitement is: Joss Whedon - I would follow him to the ends of the earth. 

2. Girl in Progress 5/11 – I think I can safely say that I will be bawling hysterically through this entire film.  As the product of an unwanted teen pregnancy, growing up with a single mother whose idea of taking care of a child was to leave the cereal within reach, I obviously can relate to the story (the trailer is disturbingly accurate).  I’m sure my thoughts on the film will be incredibly personal, which is refreshing because I often find it hard to relate to “coming of age” tales.  I’m sure that my biggest frustration will be that I didn’t write it first!!!  


3. Prometheus 6/8 – If you’ve seen the trailer, then you understand my excitement.  It’s FUCKING AWESOME.  Also, the 3D trailer played before Titanic 3D and it looked even more awesome!! I can’t believe I am saying it but I think I might actually opt for the 3D version.  Hopefully, the headache will be worth it this time. 


4. Brave 6/22 – Pixar’s first feature with a female lead!! Blah blah blah.  I want to see it for Kelly Macdonald.  Huge girl crush alert.  I could just listen to her talk all day long. 


5. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 6/22 – It looks totally fucking ridiculous, but I still need to see it out of pure curiosity.  I’ve never read the book but am tempted to buy it every time I see it.  It’s kind of a genius concept, it’s just also a really insane concept.  Plus, I am generally a huge fan vampire tales (aside from the Twilight films). 


6. To Rome with Love 6/22 – Obviously.


7. The Amazing Spider-Man 7/3 – Ok, so I was one of those people who was super pissed off that some idiot decided to reboot the Spider-Man franchise so soon.  Although, I do realize that after the monstrosity of Spider-Man 3 something, clearly, had to be done.  My interest started to peak a bit when Marc Webb was announced as the director because of how random and unlikely that choice was.  Then, I got super pissed again when Andrew Garfield was cast.  Who the fuck is he?!  I watched Never Let Me Go out of curiosity and wasn’t impressed – if a guy can’t convincingly portray being in love with Carey Mulligan (because really, what guy isn’t?) then how the fuck is he going to pull off Spider-Man?  But alas, he won me over with The Social Network and a few guest appearances.  My official description of him is “adorable” – not sure if that’s going to help him with this role, but I am interested enough to find out. 


8. Savages 7/6 – Oliver Stone describes the film as a “full-blown epic story of greed, violence, the border, the drugs, the relationships, the values of people”.  That’s a whole lot of story for one film but it is Oliver Stone…right?  I haven’t really liked his past 4 films, so hopefully this film can break the pattern. 


9. Ted 7/13 – I enjoy Mark Wahlberg in comedies (I Heart Huckabees, The Other Guys, The Happening…).  He is one of the few actors that can successfully pull off very different genres (and yes, he has had some major missteps).  I purposely did not watch the trailer for this film yet, because I know that they probably show the funniest shit in the trailer and that makes me very angry.  From what I’ve heard, it is very funny and outrageous.  There’s really not a lot of comedies on the agenda for this summer – at least ones that don’t make me want to vomit (What to Expect When You’re Expecting, That’s My Boy, Neighborhood Watch), so that leaves a lot of pressure on this one. 


10. The Dark Knight Rises 7/20 – How fitting that my most anticipated film of the year comes out on the BEST weekend of the year (my birthday weekend of course)!  I was blown away by Batman Begins and, aside from the length, The Dark Knight, was perfection (and the length thing is just a personal issue I have with films that are over 2 hours long that I am trying to get over….slowly).  If Christopher Nolan pulls this off (which from everything I’ve seen – he does), then this will be one of the very few trilogies in which I adore all 3 films (the only other one that I can think of is The Bourne Trilogy). 


11. Ruby Sparks 7/25 – I’m a sucker for films about writers, and this one has a really beautiful concept.  I just hope it doesn’t get overly cheesy with the romantic stuff. 


12. The Bourne Legacy 8/3 – Speaking of The Bourne Trilogy…..what the fuck?!  This was another film that angered me when I heard it was being developed.  Completely unnecessary.  Then, they cast Jeremy Renner and suddenly, I AM THERE.  I love him more and more with every film that he does.  It started with S.W.A.T  (a terrible movie, but I have watched it more times that I will ever admit to – for him and of course Colin Farrell), then got stronger with 28 Days Later and now I am officially head over heels after The Hurt Locker and The Town.  I appreciate that this film revolves around a “parallel story” to the Bourne story  instead of a re-boot, allowing for Matt Damon to return as Jason Bourne if he so chooses (I actually think they should just leave well enough alone…but I don’t think that is ever an option anymore).  However, I am nervous that Paul Greengrass is not directing because he made 3 incredible action films - I just can't see The Bourne Legacy having the same impact without him.


13. Total Recall 8/3 – I’ve never seen the original.  OOOPSIES!  I will correct that soon, hopefully, before I watch this one.  In all honesty, I just want to see it for Colin Farrell.  He’s sexy, no doubt, but I often have to argue with people that he is actually a great actor (Tigerland. Watch it. ). 

No comments:

Post a Comment