2. Toy Story 2 - This is the one that I remembered the least - I'm actually not positive that I watched it (but with a release of 1999, I most surely did - I saw EVERY movie during that time period. I went to the movie theater like 3 times a week and if I didn't see it at the theater I rented it at Blockbuster). I realize that it's definitely the one that I thought I would like the least - it's too Woody centric (and I think Woody is probably the worst character? He's so narcissistic and needy!), and they introduce Jessie, who is also extremely annoying (I heard she has a big role in the new one? Dear God, I hope not!). The whole plot is a bit stupid, but there are a few scenes that are EXCELLENT - and that's why I still rate it 3 stars. First, I love that Barbie gets more love in this. Second, OMG the Jurassic Park reference got me GOOD. I had to rewind it because it's so perfect. And the fake bloopers at the end is absolutely brilliant. Otherwise, this is really boring and repetitive.
3. Toy Story 3 - I remember when this was released and everyone acted like it was the best movie they'd ever seen and that they cried and blah blah blah, and then I watched it and was so indifferent on it and I definitely didn't shed one tiny tear (I know, I know...I'm dead inside). But, I do like it more on this rewatch. I think the biggest mistake is that Andy is too old to be finally dealing with what to do with his toys. I just don't believe that a 17 year old kid still has a toy chest full of his childhood toys (17 year old boys have video games. And porn). And I think it relies a lot on a certain nostalgia factor for young adults remembering their childhood toys and I just never really had that at all (when my mom left my dad she told me I could take one toy with me and I picked my dog to which she said "no way", so then I picked a kitten we had recently rescued and she didn't have the heart to say no again. And that cat lived until he was 20 and was my best friend. I couldn't give a shit about toys. Although I did love my stuffed animals - I had a stuffed Belle (Snoopy's sister) and a stuffed Littlefoot (from The Land Before Time), but I have no idea what happened to them and I couldn't care less.). So I think if you didn't have this "typical" childhood, it's impossible to connect in a way that some seem to. But otherwise, it's definitely a more emotional movie, and has more laugh-out-loud moments than the others. And I think that the incinerator scene is extremely harrowing and intense and one of the best scenes of the entire franchise.
4. Toy Story 4 - While this one is the worst one, it's still not a bad movie. Like I said - they are all good. Solid kids movies with great lessons, funny moments, and witty dialogue. But the plot is really, really bad. And you know what? The "woke" version of Little Bo Peep is actually one of the worst character switches in film history - it actually makes me livid and is extremely anti-feminist. It's designed to make people think that being "feminine" is a weakness, and so many people fall for it. And Forky??? No thank you! (and it should be Sporky...right??? That's most definitely a spork). And if my non-existent kid found a toy at a carnival, I would turn it in to lost & found??? If you're a mom you know how important specific toys are to children - I'm not a mom and I know that. I think the highlight is probably Keanu Reeves voicing Duke. And I think the villain in this one is the most sympathetic - if you don't feel bad for Gabby Gabby, there might be something wrong with you!
Ranking:
Toy Story 3
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 4
No comments:
Post a Comment