2. The Drama - Another film that will likely make it to my Top 10 of 2026 list! I'm happy that the list will be filled with 4 star films (or higher!) unlike last year in which 3.5 star films made the list because there weren't enough great films! This year I already have 6 films that I rated 4 stars (or higher!), and it's only August! I actually wasn't looking forward to this because I'm not the biggest Zendaya fan and RPatz is hit-or-miss for me, and I did not envision them having any chemistry whatsoever. And I still think all of that is true (although RPatz is a hit in this, mostly). BUT, it's a GREAT story, and it's told so well. After *just* a few minutes, I definitely changed my negative attitude and looked up who made this film and then it suddenly made sense. Kristoffer Borgli previously made the independent Norwegian film Sick of Myself which is a deeply fucked up movie and I LOVED IT! I love films that challenge a narrative, are uncomfortable and messy, and The Drama is all of this. So luckily for the stars of this film - the acting is kind of secondary. Zendaya isn't necessarily bad in this (she does the whole squinting eyes to show emotion thing and it drives me insane), but I do think that her and Rob have zero chemistry. And she looks like a child compared to him. I also really don't like the Haim girl as an actress (just a terrible actress with no screen presence), but it kind of works for this role because you're not supposed to like her at all (at least I hope that's the intent). The big "reveal" is obviously a point of contention - and if you haven't seen it, then maybe stop reading. Although I knew this "reveal" beforehand - by my own accord. I saw it spoiled on X (which I still check sometimes because I need movie news! Bluesky is sooo slow with movie news), but then I had to confirm because it seemed very UNREAL. But this isn't the first time Rob was in a film with a shockingly insane plot point (**camera pans out to reveal he's in the WTC on 9/11...**). So, the setup is that these two couples play a game where they reveal the worst thing they've ever done and Zendaya's reveal is that she planned a school shooting when she was a teenager, but never followed through with it. Which is FUCKED up, and leads Rob's character into a downward spiral of trust issues and suspicions that he might know her as well as he should and they are planning on getting married. Knowing that your partner is capable of something so dark is definitely a game changer (or "red flag" as it's now referred to). I also think it's so shocking because it's a woman - and it's rare for women to have that darkness (not that women aren't just as evil - but I think they are not as outwardly violent. Historically women murder with poison, not guns). I like the way this shows this couple, now on a shaky path, still trying to plan a very normal wedding - and it all seems so insane and performative (he actually calls out how performative it feels to practice your first dance together - and he's RIGHT! Your first dance as a married couple should be organic and based on the vibes of your relationship. Practicing it IS WEIRD. I SAID WHAT I SAID.). Anyway, I definitely recommend this - it's a good, complicated adult drama.
3. Over Your Dead Body - This was not as good as it should have been. It has a fun premise with these two people plotting to kill each other, but end up having to work together to not get killed by some escaped prison convicts. And the cast is SO Good. Samara Weaving with HER NATURAL ACCENT?! YES PLEASE! Jason Segel has really grown on me with Shrinking. And Timothy Olyphant and Juliette Lewis AS A COUPLE? That is GENIUS casting! But unfortunately, not much else works - it goes WAY over the top to ridiculous moments and draaaaaagsss on for soooo long. It definitely has unexpected turns, which I appreciate, but none of it held my interest. I laughed a few times ("you can't even touch raw meat" LOL - that is so me, I literally have to disassociate when I'm cooking). I think it might have worked better if we saw this couple "before" they wanted to murder each other (a few flashbacks to happier times, maybe?), because I don't care about either of them, and I don't care which one of them kills the other because they are both clearly psychopaths (just get a divorce! nobody is going to believe these crazy accidental death stories anyway!). I guess I'm making this sound worse than it actually is because I was entertained by it - it's a 3 star movie, but I think it just has a lot of untapped potential to be much better.
4. You, Me & Tuscany - I liked this - it's a cute romcom that's part Eat, Pray, Love and part While You Were Sleeping. I wish it was a bigger box office success, because we need more black romance films (they used to get made! How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Love & Basketball, Love Jones, etc. What happened, Hollywood??). Admittedly, I did not see this in a theater, but in my defense, I don't go to the movies very often anymore (I saw ONE film in the theater so far this year, and it was Project Hail Mary), but it was high on my list of films I wanted to watch this year because I love Halle Bailey - she did such an incredible job with Ariel in the live-action Little Mermaid, and I really wasn't expecting it (I dislike most of the live-action versions of Disney movies). She has IT (talent, screen presence, charisma, girl-next-door vibes, and she's GORGEOUS!). I, unfortunately, do not feel the same way about the guy from Bridgerton - I hated him in that and every single thing I've seen him in since. He is a TERRIBLE actor. He's very attractive, but that does nothing for me if he can't act (and I feel the same way about other hot actors who can't act *cough* Chris Evans). I so wish any other actor was the love interest (Aldis Hodge, Tyriq Withers, Aaron Pierre, Kelvin Harrison Jr. There are SO many! Stop putting this guy in all of your movies!). His acting really ruins it for me. The film doesn't do anything new or innovative for the romcom genre, but it's cute and it made me want to visit Tuscany (I've been to Italy, but not this part). Also, I love the guy from The Four Seasons - and I like the friendship that forms between them. And on another side note: I would never in million years go through someone else's phone (whether it's a one night stand or my own husband). THAT'S WEIRD BEHAVIOR!
5. Kiss of the Spider Woman - I remember when this was first released, there was actually Oscar talk for JLo and then...I never heard about it again! LOL, poor JLo - she can't catch a break when it comes to the awards chatter. Personally, I don't think she's a great actress - and she was fine in Hustlers but not Oscar nomination worthy. I do LOVE JLo though! Always have, always will! I think she's a terrific performer and pop star. And she's good in this because it's a musical - and that's when she shines. Unfortunately for her, she's had more than a few box office flops and this is another added onto the pile (it cost over 30 million and made...2 million). This one is definitely not her fault - she looks and sounds fantastic. I love the glamourous look on her, and the old school Hollywood musical numbers are stunning. I'm actually not familiar with this story (which is surprising, I think, for my Drama Studies background) - I've never read the novel, saw the original play, or the 1985 movie version, or the Broadway musical! Embarrassing! I thought some of the songs would be familiar, but NOPE...nothing! I just don't think this was made for a mass audience in mind - I mean, there is a scene in which someone shits their pants and they show waaaay too much of it. It largely takes place in an Argentinian prison cell - and does not shy away from the horrors of their living conditions. It's also, not surprisingly, far too long. I appreciate the ambition of bringing this love story, within the political atmosphere - the sort of fairy tale mixed with historical fiction is interesting. And Diego Luna is always fantastic. The highlight is definitely Tonatiuh - I'm not familiar with him (other than a small role in Carry On), but he is a star! He really put a lot of warmth and authenticity to this role. I can't wait to see what he does next.





No comments:
Post a Comment