2. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - So, there's a few things that I like in this one, but overall it's kind of a mess. I think her friends are even funnier in this one. I love Jacinda Barrett and I love the twist of her character. I think seeing Bridget and Mark in a relationship together is interesting - they bicker, which I usually hate, but it's more of an opposites attract bickering and not a hateful/mean-spirited bickering, and they very clearly love each other. I think the plot just becomes super weird with the whole Thai prison/drug trafficking fiasco. It's way too dark for a romcom. Like, parts of it are still funny (like how they are reading The Beach), but the actual plot is DARK and I can't actually enjoy watching women being locked up for crimes they are probably innocent of. I didn't actually remember any of this while watching it - I remembered that Bridget & Mark are together, but she thinks he's having an affair with his co-worker and she handles it in a very Bridget sort of way. BUT DRUG TRAFFICKING AND A THAI PRISON??? In a romcom? It's a mess.
3. Bridget Jones's Baby - I think this one at least keeps things a bit lighter than the sequel, but it's still very much a mess. Again, a few things I liked - the beginning with "Jump Around" being her sing-along-at-home-karaoke song is SO funny. The idea of Bridget Jones having a baby and not knowing who the father is - is a good next step in her story. But, the problem is that they make Mark Darcy a little bit too much of a dick in this and I can't root for him?? They also seemingly kill off Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) and that's a harsh move. And the biggest mistake is that the new love interest is Patrick Dempsey (aka McDreamy aka People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive 2023) and he's a genuinely nice guy with a whole lot of money and charm. Soooo....he seems like a better match?? And I'm pretty sure we're supposed to root for Bridget and Mark? It just makes no sense! It's weird that it ends with her back with Mark, because he's an asshole! I think this one misses the mark on the humor too - and it's 2 hours long but it doesn't need to be.
4. Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy - I was not expecting to rewatch this so soon (it was released just last year) because it's not exactly a great movie. But I liked it! I liked that it turns into a story about grief and moving forward with your life. Killing off Mark seems a little harsh and depressing at first, but I think it's a necessary arc in Bridget's life. And Leo Woodall is SO hot. I saw a few people recommending him for Bond and I wouldn't be mad at it. Although I kind of think he's too quiet and introspective for such an outwardly charming character, but that deeper connection could bring something different to Bond. Anyway, I enjoy their little fling - and I'm happy that they keep it a fling (age gaps like that are FINE for a fling! My husband saw the poster for it and said "is this one about her son?" LOL). I don't have much else to say about this other than what I wrote last year when I first watched it. Oh, it also features my favorite Rihanna song ("Stay"), so that's always a plus!
Ranking:
Bridget Jones's Diary
Mad About the Boy
Edge of Reason
Baby
No comments:
Post a Comment