Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. Bad Monkey - There's a lot I like about this show - and I think it's something that has a great deal of potential to get really good, but it's just not quite there yet. First, the narration is PAINFUL. I typically don't like narration as a film device anyway, but this is really bad. He literally tells you everything that you know just by watching it and listening to the dialogue. Second, it should have only been 6-8 episodes instead of 10. Some of the side stories could have been completely cut - especially Michelle Monaghan's whole arc. I love her but her character seemed really pointless and they waste a lot of time on her. Or, actually, scratch the 6-8 episode thing and instead make the episodes shorter, like 30-40 minutes instead of 50-60 minute episodes. Because my third thing is that Vince Vaughn is great, but he's so much better in small doses. After that, he becomes a bit grating. And fourth, this just makes me hate Florida even more than I already do! It just looks so humid and gross, and the worst people live there! Anyway, there is a lot I like about this too, so I'm hopeful that it's given a second season so that it could maybe make some changes and be better. I really like Natalie Martinez and I think she has really good chemistry with Vaughn. Every scene they have together is the best. And I love Monaghan - if they develop her character more and intertwine her in the next mystery it will work better. I can't believe how good she looks at 48! The rest of the supporting cast is really good too - lots of Bill Lawrence connections (his daughter is in this, and some Scrubs regulars sporadically show up). And Meredith Hagner is Wyatt Russell's wife! Which is kind of weird because she kind of reminds me of Goldie Hawn. Plus, Jodie Turner-Smith - who definitely also could have used some more screentime. I like that the mysterious death is solved fairly quickly and then we get more of a perspective of these people trying to get away with this crime. There's also a great soundtrack - all the Tom Petty remixes are great! And it uses the instrumental 50 Cent song from Anatomy of a Fall. LOL. 

2. Time Bandits - Okay, so I watched the first two episodes of this and it's incredibly bad. I thought it had a fun/cute premise that was like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure but more fantasy based, plus the cast is (mostly) amazing. I've never seen the movie, but I think it has a cult following? But I started the first episode and was horrified by how bad it was - first of all, it's cheesy as Hell. It's more aimed at kids, I think? But that's not how they advertised it. Second of all, every single member of this cast is awful - yes, even Lisa Kudrow. Actually she may even be the worst offender - but I think it's more of a case of bad casting, and a terrible wardrobe (does she take that forehead headband off...or nah?). The kid is awful (I don't want to trash talk a kid, but his name IN REAL LIFE is Kal-El??? That's like the joke in That 90s Show about Eric and Donna naming their daughter Leia Tatooine - but that's a tv show, not REAL LIFE!). And I've always hated Charlyne Yi. I read all about her lawsuit with the creators of this show and it sucks. Nobody deserves to be abused by their employers, even if they are one of the worst actresses working today. She seemed like she was gaining some popularity there for a little while, but then went away and I was grateful. Anyway, I think it's definitely trying to be funny, but I definitely didn't laugh at all, and I wasn't even entertained. Just a total failure on every level. I was toying with watching another episode of this (I don't like giving up on shows at all, but definitely feel like I should at least give a new show 3 episodes), but then I read that it was already cancelled so I'm not going to waste my time (thank the Lord!). 

3. The Penguin - It's four episodes in and so far, so good!! I liked The Batman just fine, but I don't think it was anything to rave about. But I was baffled by Colin Farrell's casting. Yes, the makeup is great, but also....just find an actor who is heavier and balding?? Why go through all of this? Colin does a great job, and obviously is unrecognizable. But, I also think that the makeup hinders his facial expression and his NY gangster accent is very spotty (although he does do a great job of changing his voice - it's also unrecognizable). Obviously the casting was a success and therefore bled into turning this character's story into a miniseries (or show? Is it just the one season or will they make more? I know it's getting good reviews, so they'll probably want to capitalize on that). The series focuses more on the gangster mob aspect and the interweaving of the Falcone's family business. I was expecting more of a Batman connection, but overall, I'm invested - especially in Sofia's story. Cristin Milioti is incredible in this role. The most recent episode with a look at her time in Arkham is the strongest yet because she's so good at showing her innocence and how someone can be driven crazy by prison (and by men, in general. LOL). The supporting cast is great - Mark Strong, they guy from Mrs. Maisel, Theo Rossi, Clancy Brown, Shohreh Aghdashloo, etc. I think some of the blocking is weird though - there are way too many shots that are either too close, or cut at weird angles. I think it's trying a little too hard to be "artsy" like The Batman. And I'm hoping that they give us a reason to care about Oz? I feel like I care about everyone else in the show except him. But overall, it's very entertaining. 

4. The Perfect Couple -  *spoilers ahead* This is the perfect miniseries to watch on a 5 hour flight from Aruba to NYC. It doesn't take too much effort to watch, it's entertaining and trashy, but also has a great cast involved that elevates it from Lifetime movie territory. I think they give away the "who did it" answer a bit too early. They try to throw the audience off and give other suspects, but they never explain why Dakota's character is desperate to wash that glass - she's someone who screams for the housekeeper to do everything 24/7 - she would never just *decide* to wash the dishes. So, it kind of felt like a waste of time for the reveal to be...revealed. But I still had fun with it because there are a few other twists along the way, and they start off each episode with such a fun dance number!! It's kind of hilarious that the cast was so against doing it (reportedly) because it's the absolute best part. I'm definitely tired of Nicole Kidman in these roles, but she does do it so well. It's nice to see Dakota Fanning in a role that is a bit different for her. I have a huge crush on Meghann Fahy since The White Lotus, and she's just as adorable here. Jack Reynor is the perfect asshole (and his American accent is getting better, I think?). Eve Hewson is also a highlight (she definitely has "it" - not all nepobabies are bad!!). But there's also some really bad casting too - like the other two brothers and the guy who plays Shooter. Just terrible acting, but the worst offender is the French woman. My God, how did they not notice how bad she was while filming and recast immediately?? It's not enough to ruin the show, but it would have been better if these 4 characters were cast better. 

5. How to Die Alone - I like this show a lot and I'm really hopeful that it gets another season, because I need to see more of this character. It stars Natasha Rothwell - she was a writer on Insecure (and she was one of my favorite characters too!), and she created this show. I can say with confidence that I am a fan for life because Insecure is SO GOOD, and this show feels unexpected and different. I like that it jumps between being laugh-out-loud funny, while also being incredibly dark and morally grey in some spots. I also think this character is fully formed - she's vulnerable, funny, sweet, and flawed. There are definitely two episode highlights - the Thanksgiving episode is probably my favorite television episode of the year. It's so well written, but not just with the jokes. It keeps the audience in suspense the whole time because you know that there are two very explosive secrets on the verge of being told in the midst of this family drama. Plus, her mom is hilarious when she starts to pray. I couldn't stop laughing. The other episode is the finale episode with her traveling to all these different places instead of going on her planned trip to Hawaii to ruin her exes wedding. It's just a really cute way to end things especially if the series doesn't continue - it's still a satisfying conclusion even though obviously it ends badly. And I love when she starts to lip synch to "Feelin' Good" when she discovers she's getting a settlement for 17k. There's some absurdity to it that reminds me of a more grounded Atlanta. I think my only criticism is that the supporting cast is a little lacking. Nobody stands out to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment