Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Film Retrospective Part IV: Thoughts on 10 Films (pre-1980)

1. Badlands - [blind spot] I've had this on my list for a while. I'm not exactly a Terrence Malick fan, but I thought maybe I would like his older stuff? I like The Thin Red Line, so I remain hopeful. I also adore Sissy Spacek, but I honestly thought Carrie was her first movie! It's also crazy how much a young Martin Sheen looks like Emilio Estevez! Anyway, there's definitely a lot of Malick-isms in this - like the overly poetic whispered dialogue, the shots in the tall grass, the chorus-like soundtrack, etc., but it's also very different because it's not 3 hours long and it has a plot!! And I loved it! 

2. Jaws - [rewatch] I've been due for a Jaws rewatch for quite a while now. I don't think I've seen it since I was a teenager (which was like 25 years ago!). It's just not something that every really stood out in my mind, even though I know it's one of the greatest films of all-time. And after this rewatch, I can definitely agree with everyone - it's a perfect 5 star film. Richard Dreyfuss is incredible. The story is perfect - and I love that it's not just about people getting eaten by sharks, they do a great job of developing these characters and providing depth to this story. I didn't remember the part about the hoax with the two kids, but that whole scene is great. I do think it feels a little long in parts and it starts to drag once the three of them are on the boat chit-chatting and comparing scars. I paused it at one point and was shocked that I still had a whole hour left. I also LOL'd with the dialogue "you were on the Indianapolis", "what happened" exchange because it's as if the chief of police had never heard of famous WWII stories. It's just so funny to think about. There's some outstanding camera work, and I just love that little animatronic shark. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was the the tram ride at Universal Studios in Hollywood - when you drive through the lake and then see Jaws swimming in the water towards you and then he jumps out of the water and everyone gets splashed with water. It's so much fun! I don't think they do it anymore, right? Such a shame. They play this movie every year on the beach in Cape May and I always miss it by a few days, but I'm definitely going to try to catch it one of these years. There are very famous shark attack stories here - and even though the author of the book that this is based on said it's not based on the 1916 Jersey Shore attacks, everyone from NJ will tell you otherwise. 

3. Heaven Can Wait - [rewatch] I watched this as a kid, and I always equated it with an 80s movie, so I was surprised that this came out in the late 70s. This was one of my mom's favorite movies - she wasn't a big movie person, but she really liked more lighthearted movies like this (it was either this or dark Lifetime movies). I was also surprised that Warren Beatty directed this, too. I actually didn't remember that Beatty directed any movies (like, he directed Bulworth and Dick Tracey, too??? Why don't I remember that??). This is really cute, entertaining, with some really funny moments, but it's also very stupid. It's like a precursor to movies like Heart and Souls and even 13 Going on 30 (and I love both of those movies a lot). I love Julie Christy but that hair definitely ages her by about 15 years (she's only 38 in this but she looks like she's in her 50s). It's sort of crazy that people talk about how being "woke" and political is ruining movies, but movies like this existed in the 70s (and this is definitely about being "woke" about the environment). 

4. Three Days of the Condor - [blind spot] Holy shit, Robert Redford looks so good in this - the wispy blonde hair, the popped collar on the peacoat, the glasses - I would have swooned hard in 1975. And Faye Dunaway! They are so sexy together (but the sex scene is...weird. First, all your coworkers were just MURDERED. Second, the shots of photography spliced in with the saxophone heavy score is A CHOICE). The movie, for a modern audience, feels a little cliched and slow moving, but I have to appreciate the time that this was made and that it probably inspired a whole lot of conspiracy centered stories (especially 90s films like Conspiracy Theory). Overall, I liked it, but modern movies have done it better. 

5. Stage Fright (1950) - [rewatch] One of the lesser Hitchcock films, but I've always liked it nonetheless. I like his focus on theater with this one, it feels a little outside his realm. Marlene Dietrich is delicious (but can't sing - holy shit that scene is painful), but Jane Wyman is a STAR. Her face just shines in front of the camera. I was looking up some info on her while watching this - and I had NO IDEA that she was married to Ronald Reagan?!? How weird! Anyway, I like this movie, but it is definitely too long for the story that it's telling. However, the blocking and camerawork at the end totally make the whole movie worthwhile. Just some stunning shots (the lighting hitting their eyes with the rest of their faces in shadows! SO GOOD). There's some funny bits in it too. 

6. How to Marry a Millionaire - [blind spot] I've had this movie on my list for quite a while, but couldn't find it streaming anywhere. Finally found it airing on TCM during a Lauren Bacall celebration week. I had really high hopes for this after watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes because I was not expecting to love that movie as much as I did. I thought this would have the same effect, but unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. It's cute, but nowhere near the brilliance of Gentlemen. I think I must now consider myself a Marilyn Monroe fan because Some Like it Hot is also among my favorite comedies. And Monroe is the unexpected highlight in this (I thought I would have praised Bacall more), but the glasses gag she does through the whole movie really got me good. She's just so naturally funny. Bacall is great too, and I like her little reference to her in real life beau Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen. I just think the story sucks and it's incredibly obvious that the guy from the beginning that they treat like shit is actually a millionaire. 

7. In the Heat of the Night - [blind spot] I love Sidney Poitier! I've seen a lot of his movies (To Sir, With Love being my favorite, and I love him in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and A Raisin in the Sun). This movie somehow eluded me. Some of it does seem familiar, so I may have watched it or parts of it at some point. Unfortunately, I didn't love it. Some of it is good, but a lot of it is just overdone. The gum chewing is OFF THE CHARTS. The racist police officer reminded me of someone, but I couldn't figure out who. But it's all so in your face and repetitive. But the way that Sidney can shut someone down with a single stare is incredible and so satisfying. 

8. The Out-of-Towners - [blind spot] This movie stressed me out! I feel like Jack Lemmon's character is every service person's worst nightmare. He's so nasty and entitled! While I like the whole vacation gone wrong aspect, a lot of it is very anti-NYC (and anti-city life in general), which is frustrating. I also think these two people should divorce ASAP. But on a high-note - the dynamic between them is extremely funny and I like the way she's very submissive in the beginning but then gets more and more tired of his bullshit. She gets more and more hilarious as the movie goes on because she starts to come alive as he falls apart. It's a very interesting commentary on marriage and how couples handle stress. One of the things my husband and I always do when we travel is to adopt a "go with the flow" attitude. Like, nothing can get to us when we are on vacation. Flights delayed? No worries. Hotel evacuated due to a gas leak? Oh well! Phone fell out of pocket in the taxi and they left before we noticed? I guess, we'll make some calls! There's always going to be changes to the schedule and plans, and we'll just deal with it, otherwise the vacation will be ruined and what's the point in that? We'll end up miserable like these people?! NO THANK YOU. Anyway, it's also very funny in parts. The "pervert in the park" scene got me, especially when the police officer on the horse comes out of nowhere chasing them through the park. I laughed so hard. 

9. The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) - [blind spot] I vaguely remember the 90s one (I was a big Renee Russo fan back in the day. I still am, but she's not in much anymore). Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway are a dream casting (was Dunaway just in every movie in the late 60s/70s? It's kind of weird that she followed up Bonnie and Clyde with this story.), but this is another disappointing movie. It's very stylish, has some intense moments, and it's certainly not a bad movie - just kind of dull and predictable. The shots being cut up into squares reminds me of The Brady Bunch, and some of the shots are weird - like the kissing scene that dissolves into all the colors. And what was up with the sexy Chess game??? LOL. So weird. I do like the glasses he wears with the blue lenses! I want those! Otherwise, I was kind of bored. 

10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - [rewatch] I just watched this for the first time a few years ago, with the intention of also watching the one from the 70s (that I've never seen! I KNOW!), but I never got around to the 70s one. I went to watch it for this retrospective, but then decided to rewatch this one again first because I remember LOVING it! I think the 70s one is held in higher regard, so I'm even more excited to see it because I think this one is close to perfect. I love how simple & menacing the score is. I love how it feels like a longer episode of The Twilight Zone. And I love the chemistry between the leads. I feel like sometimes these older horror movies have terrible acting because it's too cheesy (like The Blob for instance), but this is an exception. 


No comments:

Post a Comment