Friday, February 26, 2021

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. Synchronic - Oh, hey, I've finally learned Jamie Dornan's name! I've always just referred to him as "the hot guy from The Fall", even though he was in a much more famous film franchise. And the funny reason I learned his name is because of that whole quarantine "Imagine" video debacle. There was an article that was about how Jamie Dornan understand the backlash to the video and I was like "who the fuck is Jamie Dornan?". And it really delighted me that he said his "friend" Kristen Wiig asked him to do it, because that's such an unlikely duo, but now I realize they did a movie together (that new Barb and Star movie). Anyway, starting off a bit sidetracked, but my point is that he's super hot. There are a ton of hot actors, but I often think "if I saw them randomly in the street would I even notice them?" and most of the time the answer is no, but if Jamie walked past me I would definitely do a double-take. And if he spoke to me with that sexy Irish accent, I might pass out. He actually does an American accent really well - but it definitely brings his hotness factor down a whole point. So...wait...what am I even talking about? OH YEAH...Synchronic. I like the concept behind this movie, but it's executed very poorly. I think I might have been swayed by reviews that called it "thrilling", "twisted and trippy", etc. because it's not...at all. Aside from the sci-fi concept, it's closer to a Drama than any other genre. I do like Anthony Mackie quite a bit, though. He has such a strong screen presence - just pure charisma. And him and Jamie have some great chemistry together. It's not a bad movie - I rate it 3 stars, but I just had higher expectations for it.

2. Bliss - Another movie with a great sci-fi concept let down by rest of the film. And my expectations for this were through the roof with Mike Cahill behind it. He's made two of my favorite movies of the last decade (I Origins and Another Earth - both brilliant sci-fi ideas and great movies). I think the biggest reason I didn't connect with this is because of the cast - I love both Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek, but together they have zero chemistry and they just don't fit into this story. I don't know why exactly, but I think if it had different actors I might have enjoyed it more. However, maybe not because I honestly don't think I understood what was going on for most of it. I like the VR concept, but if they believe they are in a simulation, and they can do anything without consequence, then why exactly are they tripping people at a roller skating rink? And why are they living on the street? Why not rob a bank so you don't have to live like that? Like, what's the point? And Salma's gypsy character is kind of offensive...right? Or am I crazy? I also think that it's supposed to be interpreted as an allegory for mental illness and drug addiction - but it never really goes deep enough to have an real impact. I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again to really get what it's trying to say, but I have no interest. 

3. Judas and the Black Messiah - First, it's so weird that this movie is a 2021 release, but it's still qualifying for 2020 awards (I think this was originally done to include more movies since a lot of films weren't released when they should have been, but 2020 had plenty of films to reward so this kind of backfired). I will be including it as a 2021 movie and it will likely make my "Best of" list (although it's super early for that). Second, I love Daniel Kaluuya so fucking much. He's just so good in everything. He should have received so much more attention for Queen & Slim (and I recently learned that he co-wrote some episodes of Skins. I fucking loved Skins). He is outstanding in this. He really gives life to these really powerful, poetic speeches. I could listen to him talk all day. I understand why people are upset that they are considering this a "supporting performance", but technically it is - there really is no "lead" in this movie and it honestly gives him a better shot at winning, so cool your jets people. The other supporting actors are all strong - LaKeith Stanfield, Jesse Plemons, and especially Dominique Fishback (she was clearly the best part of Project Power. I just knew she had "it"). Third, the set and costume design are on point. But, fourth, as intriguing (and horrifying) as this story is, there is something missing from making it the masterpiece that it should be. I also found the Hoover makeup so terribly distracting. And the age thing bothers me a little bit - I think there should have been more of an emphasis on how incredibly young Fred Hampton was. He was only 21 when he was assassinated and Daniel is a whole decade older than that (and he seems even older...I thought he was my age until I looked it up). It's just such an incredible travesty that has been swept under the rug of American history - more stories like this need to be brought to our attention (and it's up to us to seek out these stories and dig deeper). 

4. Freaky - Super fun horror comedy. The whole body swapping thing has been done, literally, to death, and it's just so ridiculous. Yet, I saw the trailer for this and I laughed and laughed. But I've always found Vince Vaughn hilarious, so I guess it's not surprising that I found this as funny as I did. And he shines in this when he turns into a teenage girl - it's all done really well and not in a creepy way either (which it easily could have gone that way). Kathryn Newton does really well in the serial killer role - not so much with the high school plain Jane character (I mean...LOOK AT HER), but when she slips that red leather jacket on, she just owns it and it's really fun to see the transformation. There are some genuinely funny moments, but hardly any real scares. I don't rely on movies like this to actually offer up great horror moments, but it would have been cool if it did. It does feature some really gruesome kills, though. I don't want to oversell it - it's extremely ridiculous and cheesy, and the supporting actors (her friends) are...not good. But overall, I had some fun with it. 

5. Saint Maud - I assumed this wasn't really going to be something I connected with - indie horror with religious themes that every film critic is drooling over. Usually I find these movies disappointing, but I was really intrigued by this. It has a fairly simple story of obsession and devotion - with faith, with redemption, with other people, etc., but it has a stunning lead performance along with an exceptionally suspenseful pace, and some genuinely disturbing scenes. I was blown away by Morfydd Clark - just the perfect amount of innocence and danger to her performance. Jennifer Ehle is also a strong supporting role in this - balances out the real life scenario in a very genuine way. She's kind of playing along, but also curious about this young nurse's real nature. And when "God" started talking to her in that creepy fucking voice, both my kitties woke up from a dead sleep and stared at the tv. It was really fucking freaky. It's all very unsettling and I adored the way it ended. It's not something that's going to give me nightmares or anything, but it's a really solid psychological thriller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment