Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Golden Globe Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

I haven't done a whole post on Golden Globe nominations in like 10 years because the Globes are usually pretty ridiculous in who they nominate, but this year they are downright outrageous so I have to write it all down otherwise my head might explode (plus, I'm super bored). So here goes: 

The Good: 

- There is actually a LOT of good, so let's start there. My favorite film acting performances are nominated - Riz Ahmed and Vanessa Kirby. Viola Davis & Chadwick Boseman are also incredible. Anya Taylor-Joy is a delight in Emma

- Palm Springs is cute and probably the only movie in the Musical/Comedy category that deserves to be there 

- I haven't seen Nomadland or Promising Young Woman, but I have really high hopes and I'm happy to see the nominations 

- The tv nominations are much better - with a surprising, but most welcome, love for The Great (and Nicholas Hoult and Elle Fanning) 

- The expected nominations for Schitt's Creek and The Crown 

- Glad to see Small Axe in the Television categories (it's not a movie)

- The Limited Series categories are the strongest overall (Your Honor, Small Axe, The Undoing, Normal People - all excellent) 


The Bad: 

- I'm more upset about what is nominated than by what was snubbed. There are always going to be snubs with awards, and usually it just means that there are so many great performances and projects. But when you nominate utter crap - it just takes away from the achievement of others and this year is a doozy

- I know that the Globes love Ryan Murphy but nominations for The Prom, Hollywood and Ratched (which I liked) are ridiculous. The Prom is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while - and James Corden??? Seriously? How does playing a gay character in the most cliched way possible garner any kind of award nomination? 

- Hamilton is NOT a film. Period. The only award it should be nominated for is for whatever category at the Emmys that nominates itself is (it's like a special broadcast category but I can't remember the technical name for it)

- It's weird that a lot of film people claimed to have never heard of Music before its nomination. It's weird because there is a TON of controversary around it so "film people" should be following it? Isn't that their job? I've been following it - and it's really disheartening. Sia always seemed like someone with a good heart, but her lack of respect for the autistic community during this project is really disappointing and harmful (look it up!). I haven't seen a ton of reviews for it, but probably not a good idea to nominate a movie that an entire community has denounced. 

- I expected nominations for Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7, but still...UGH. 

- Bill Murray nominated for being Bill Murray, Fuck right off 

- Nominations for Emily in Paris? Really? I haven't seen it, but I've seen many people make fun of it - because it's supposedly terrible. It's advertised as a younger Sex and the City type show, so that's me never watching it

- I LOVE The Crown. I've loved it from Day 1. But, I think Emma Corrin's performance as Diana is so awful. She has one look for every emotion and it's laughable how often she uses it. 

-Why are there only 4 nominations for Television Supporting Actress? Especially when that category isn't divided by genre? Could they really not find a 5th nominee? There's 5 in Mrs. America alone. 


The Snubbed: 

- OH SO MANY. The biggest one for me is that there is nothing for The Devil All the Time? Like, not one? There are so many great performances RIGHT THERE. 

- I would have loved for Rachel Brosnahan to sneak in a nomination for I'm Your Woman

- Kornel Mundruczo directed the Hell out of Pieces of a Woman 

- I wasn't a huge fan of Da 5 Bloods, but Delroy Lindo definitely deserved a nomination (and I think he was expected to get one?) 

- My favorite television performance is Nicole Beharie in Monsterland and it's sadly been completely ignored

- Lovecraft Country deserved some acting nominations

- How do you nominate Normal People and Daisy Edgar-Jones but not Paul Mescal? I thought it was weird when he was nominated for the Emmy and she wasn't. They should be nominated as a pair, I think. Wouldn't that be an interesting concept? 

- I can't keep track of what is actually eligible as far as television goes but what about Billions? Dead to Me? What We Do in the Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment