Monday, January 6, 2020

4 Thoughts on The Golden Globes

1. The Host - I enjoy Ricky Gervais - always have, always will. It was a little awkward how terrible the audience reacted to his jokes. I mean, you had to know what he was going to do. And he really didn't go as far as he has in the past. It's a horrible feeling when people are too scared to laugh at JOKES in fear of not seeming "woke" enough for this modern world. I get that not everyone has the same taste in comedy, so you may just not find him funny - but some of the reactions were so overdone - like they were absolutely horrified by what he was saying. Big shout out to the few celebrities that were able to laugh at themselves (Leo and Scorsese come to mind). I love that he kept joking that it was his "last time" hosting - he's been saying that since the first time. And that the In Memoriam segment wasn't "diverse enough", so they nixed it. LOL. But, the best part of the whole thing is that he called out everyone on their contradictory behavior "you're in no position to lecture anyone". TRUTH.

2. The Show - One of the better awards shows over the last few years - it moved pretty quickly, felt like a party, had some surprising moments, and some even more surprising wins (there is no way anyone predicted more than 50% of those wins. Just no way.). I enjoy both Ellen Degeneres and Tom Hanks, so it was nice to see them receive Lifetime Achievement awards. I thought Kate McKinnon really did a fabulous job at introducing Ellen - it was so absolutely sincere and it really sparks the whole representation on-screen debate. It is important to see yourself on screen - especially when you are young and feeling alone. I loved that Charlize introduced Tom Hanks because That Thing You Do! is one of my all-time favorites and I feel like it's a forgotten gem of a movie. Hanks is a legend - I can instantly rattle off my favorite movie from any celebrity, with the exception of Tom Hanks - there's just too many (my instinct is A League of Their Own, but that's just such a tough call). As for the rest of the winner's speeches, I'm not a big fan of bringing politics into your speeches, but I do understand sometimes the need to - when you have such a big platform you should use it for things that matter, but I also think that movies, tv, dumb awards shows, etc., are the only thing we have to distract us from this garbage world we currently live in. Maybe people need the escape and don't want to be reminded of the outside world, if only for a measly 3 hours? I do love that they saved my favorite person for last, to present the final award. I didn't even realize Sandy B was there!

3. The Winners - Sorry, but I just have to gush about Taron Egerton winning. In the long-run, I don't think the Golden Globes really mean anything (they lost credit about a decade ago). However, the race for Best Actor is tight this year, so it actually mattered who won this particular race - in regards to who will get Oscar nominations (and I do think the Oscars matter. It's obviously the ultimate goal of an actor to have "Oscar Nominated" or even better "Oscar Winner" in front of their name). It's not a lock for Egerton, yet, but he has a much better chance at cinching the nomination now that he won this. And he deserves it. Not only is his performance in Rocketman absolutely brilliant, he's been severely under-rated from the Kingsman movies and Eddie the Eagle. I will never forget sitting in the theater watching the first Kingsman, and after a few minutes in, my friend looked over at me with this "uh-oh, Michelle's in love" look and we both burst out laughing. It's true - Eggsy has a very similar story arc to my soulmate Ryan Atwood (yes, of The O.C), and it is totally my type. After the second Kingsman came out, I was even more invested and decided to watch an interview with Egerton - and at first, I was honestly, severely disappointed - he's not even close to Eggsy's "chav" character, he's like, really well-spoken (with a completely different, but still hot, accent) and went to Drama school, and HE CAN SING. I was shocked, but I also had this realization that he's not just a pretty face - he can actually act. So now I love him for a completely different reason - he's passionate about what he's doing, he's extremely talented, and um...he's really hot. It was probably the first time I've ever rooted against Leo DiCaprio winning an award (I would have still been happy if he won - Leo fangirl forever), but it was really satisfying watching the kid from Kingsman on that stage. And, as dumb as it is, if the kid from Kingsman gets an Oscar nomination - I might cry. As for the other winners, all are fabulous - I have no complaints. If Jodie Comer has to lose an award, it's only acceptable if she loses it to Olivia Colman. I also LOVE that 1917 really threw a wrench into everyone's predictions. I haven't seen it, but for some reason I just find it hilarious that it won two of the biggest awards.

4. The Fashion - My jaw dropped to the floor when Saoirse Ronan appeared on the red carpet - just absolutely stunning. But my favorite dress was worn by Laura Dern - that is a "me" dress and I would literally wear that to work (I have a similar one that I dress down with a moto jacket and booties). I also really liked Kaitlyn Dever's graphic floral number. The worst dresses were pretty obvious - the big bow disaster that JLo was wearing and that big green balloon dress that Jodie Comer wore. Man, how do you look in the mirror and think that those looks are flattering? It blows my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment