Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Thoughts on 5 New TV Shows

1. The Gentlemen - I LOVE this show!!! It's so much fun and Kaya Scodelario and Theo James have INSANE chemistry together. It's honestly refreshing to see because it feels like it's so rare for actors to have actual chemistry nowadays. I've been a big fan of Kaya's since Skins (so much talent came from that show - Dev Patel, Nicholas Hoult, Jack O'Connell, Daniel Kaluuya etc.), and I hope this is finally the break that she needs to send her into stardom. I thought she would breakout with the Maze Runner films, but those films didn't turn out as popular as expected, nor did they have any lasting effect. I think this is a good role for her because this is definitely a more adult role, and there is a lot of depth to this character - there are moments in which the audience doesn't know if she's good, bad, untrustworthy, a murderer, or just a really good businesswoman. Theo James really won me over in the second season of The White Lotus - I really didn't like him at first, but once I realized that he's supposed to be a very unlikeable character and HE NAILS IT, I pivoted to total respect for his acting skills. He is incredible in this  - so likeable, even as a wealthy entitled aristocrat. It's so weird that the movie version is really bland and they were able to turn it into this. I can still see some of the same elements and characters - it definitely feels like the same world, but this is just so much more interesting. It's also fascinating that marijuana is still so illegal in the UK. Because even before it was technically legal here, it really wasn't a big deal - there certainly weren't underground mobsters growing it (they deal in much harder drugs like heroin & cocaine. Pot is...laughable). It's even more of a contrast when Giancarlo Esposito shows up as a somewhat lighter version of Gus Fring (I definitely was one of the people who looked up if they were trying to connect this to Breaking Bad - the character is just too similar!). I'm hopeful for a season 2 (it seems to have done pretty well, so I'm expecting it to happen). Also, I laugh every time they call the brother "Fredward" because it reminds me of when I first heard that Ned from The Simpsons full name is "Nedward", I laughed for like an hour. I don't know why it's so funny to me, but I laugh all the time about it. 

2. Apples Never Fall - *spoilery* I can't really decide if I liked this or hated it, but I will say that it is very successful in being binge-worthy. I just kept hitting "play" on the next episode even though it's so incredibly trashy and stupid. It's like they made a Lifetime movie into a miniseries and they somehow got actual actors to star in it - like ANNETTE BENING! What are you doing?! You were just nominated for a fucking Oscar! I hope she doesn't fall into the Nicole Kidman pattern of doing a miniseries about privileged white women over and over again. This plot did have me guessing, though. I think it's fairly obvious that this is the rare case in which the husband didn't do it. I figured that there was going to be a reason behind every clue that pointed to him. But I also thought that *major spoilers ahead* she's not actually dead (rule of trashy murder mysteries "no body = not dead"). I did think that maybe she killed the strange con-artist woman, though, and that maybe he was covering it up for her. That would explain why he acted so weird. And he definitely acted weird. If your wife went missing, a normal, loving husband would show waaaay more concern than he does. Sam Neill just never convinces me that he's concerned about her whereabouts, and I think that's a big problem from a storytelling perspective. The rest of the cast are kind of...terrible. Yes, even Alison Brie - whom I ADORE, so it pains me to say. She's jut very grating in this, and overdoes her character. And again, it just doesn't feel like how a human being would naturally react. It's interesting watching them all turn on their dad, but none of them seem as distraught by it as they should be. I do really like the woman who plays Savannah. Her name is Georgia Flood - and I could not for the life of me figure out what I knew her from until I just looked it up right now and it's Wentworth (she was Bea's daughter!). As I said, it's one of those shows that hooks the audience, but it's not necessarily a good show. And the twist ends up being really, really dumb. 

3. Manhunt - For an Apple TV+ show, I expected better. It kind of feels like a History channel reenactment show, which is an insult to these actors, but it's true. The casting is WILD. Hamish Linklater as Abe Lincoln??? Lili Taylor as Mary Todd??? Neither of them fit these roles AT ALL. Also, Patton Oswald sticks out like a sore thumb. I saw people commenting about how some of the dialogue is too modern, and I don't think I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for Oswald's delivery of this dialogue. I do think Tobias Menzies is doing a great job leading the show, and I don't have any problems with the guy playing Booth. Unfortunately though, I'm just bored to death watching it. It's kind of interesting to see how this whole "manhunt" went down, but there's also just something so dull about it - I think maybe it's the pacing? It should be more exciting, no? There's just nothing even worth noting to talk about, which is probably why so many people focused on the dialogue not being historically correct. I think if it were more interesting (and had better casting), people wouldn't even notice this minor detail. 

4. We Were the Lucky Ones - I really like Logan Lerman and Joey King, so that's why I added this to my watchlist even though it seems depressing as fuck. The first two episodes are exactly that - depressing as fuck, but also terribly boring and predictable. It does pick up, though. I'm on the 5th episode, but the 4th episode is definitely a highlight (more on this later). However, I'm not really invested in these characters, either - I don't really feel like they are given any time to develop, instead it's all plot (as in, this is what happened TO these characters and...we already know because this time in history has been well documented and turned into many movies, novels, series, etc.). I think King is very strong so far, though, even if she's laying the accent on a little thick. She has a really strong scene in which she has to tell the man she loves to go ("they need you, I don't") - and she executes it really well, showcasing the heartbreaking sacrifices thousands were forced to make. As I said, I'm a big fan of Lerman - and even more so after watching Hunters - his acting in the final season blew me away (also there's an episode that will haunt me for the rest of my life - and it's also about the holocaust. But it's told in such a way that felt new and soul-destroying). I think I've mentioned before that I had a terrible interaction with his mother (who was his manager and still might be) a long time ago when I worked at a production company in LA. She was just very unfriendly, but I understand she was trying to protect her son from a very unfriendly business (he was only like 16 at the time - interestingly, the role that we were looking at him for eventually went to Ezra Miller and then they ended up starring in Perks of Being a Wallflower together just a few years later). The rest of the cast is filled out by actors I'm not familiar with, but all are strong. There are some really standout scenes, during episode 4, in particular. The scene in which they are digging their own graves and then she has her daughter run to the other woman and call her "momma" - harrowing. I think a big problem, though, is...the title sort of gives the show away, because I assume that even in the most harrowing situations they all still live (because they are *the lucky ones*). It's still all very depressing and feels hopeless. If you're not in a good place, mentally, then maybe skip it...

5. Palm Royale - I'm surprised this show hasn't had more buzz considering the talent involved (Kristen Wiig, Allison Janney, Laura Dern, and the one and only, CAROL BURNETT!). I don't think I would have even heard of it if it weren't for the fact that the retailer that I work for did a fashion campaign as part of their promotional advertising. I haven't seen anyone talk about it at all - and, again, it stars CAROL BURNETT!!! I don't think Apple TV+ is very good at marketing their shows, though. A few of them take off, obviously, like Ted Lasso, but I see random ads on Twitter for their other shows, and that's really it. They need to step it up, because they are the most consistent (quality wise) with programming, and definitely worth the money. I like the look of this show - the production design, the costumes (the look that Janney wears in the first episode in which the print on her glasses MATCH the print on her top is exquisite and I MUST HAVE THIS LOOK), etc., are all outstanding. I think the story is a little lacking, though. I'm caught up on what has aired, but I think there are still 4 episodes to go, so it has time to win me over. Kristen Wiig is a favorite of mine - and she's so stunningly gorgeous! I think this gets overlooked because she's also hilarious, so she's just known as being "funny" instead of "hot", but she is definitely both. There is also a very special scene featuring father daughter acting duo Laura & Bruce Dern (in their first time acting in a scene together!). Dern (Laura) is always a highlight - I recently started that HBO show she did a while back called Enlightened and she's SO good in it (and kind of plays a similar character here). There is some funny dialogue - like when the manager insults Wiig's character with "you look like you can afford it" and she responds with "that is...so kind!" (the show is about her trying to fit in in an exclusive country club even though she clearly doesn't fit in). And then during the meeting with the group of feminists one of them says "boys can be feminists too" and she dismissively goes "y'all are such a hoot!". LOL. The big misfire is the casting of Ricky Martin - first, why would this 50 year old man be doing the job that is essentially a pool boy??? That job is reserved for hot 20 year olds, Ricky, stop playing. He's also a terrible actor, but I feel like that's already a given. Do you want another fun fact about my past celeb interactions?? Well, I also interned at a few record companies in the early 2000s, during the height of TRL, and Ricky Martin being a big thing. Well, he was promoting a new video for the song "She Bangs", and he was nervous that there wouldn't be enough people supporting him outside (remember how crowds used to form in Times Square for TRL??? Crazy times), so as an intern they made me go and gather people to stand outside for him - I made posters for them to hold up and everything (one of them read "BANG ME Ricky" LOL! Times were different then). I actually did that for several musical artists at that record company, and then I interned at Jive records (who had Britney, *NSYNC, and Backstreet Boys) and I asked them about it and they were like, "uuuuhhhh no, those crowds for our artists are there naturally" and they thought it was hilarious that other record companies faked it. Anyway, epic sidetrack. I know you missed those!

No comments:

Post a Comment