Friday, September 22, 2023

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Flash -
*some spoilers* Big surprise everyone: I didn't hate it! I think it was mostly entertaining. Some really dodgy CGI, especially for how much it cost and how long it was in post-production, but the story is actually interesting, and Michael Keaton is pure JOY to watch as Batman. It's a solid 3 star movie, which is better than most DC films (I think the only ones I rated 3 or above are Wonder Woman, Man of Steel, and The Suicide Squad. Oh and the Snyder cut of Justice League). Controversy aside, I think Ezra Miller is severely miscast in this role, HOWEVER, I think it's very challenging to do two versions of a character in the same movie - so I will give him credit for that. I just think that The Flash/ Barry Allen is supposed to be charming and likeable, and Miller does not give off that vibe at all (especially now!). He was outstanding in We Need to Talk About Kevin, and he should stick to those type of roles. I met him a long time ago (it was 2009ish for a movie called Every Day - wayyyy before anyone knew who he was and I think he was only like 17 years old. But, he gave me the CREEPIEST vibe in the world, just from a very short interaction). I think the rest of the cast saves this movie, though. Obvi, Keaton, but also Sasha Calle and Kiersey Clemons. And I think the film is genuinely funny. I was actually surprised at how much I laughed (mostly at the alternative universe stuff - like how Marty McFly is played by Eric Stoltz, and how Applebees is called Bananabees). Even though the story is a bit cliched with the whole Butterfly Effect, and the whole "trauma makes you a hero" trope, I still found it really engaging. BUT, and this is a huge BUT - why the fuck does it look this terrible? The beginning with the babies is actually horrendous. It looks bad, and it's also kind of like "what the fuck am I watching?" (I tend to like that people die in the DC universe because it's kind of ridiculous to pretend like buildings are exploding and bridges are collapsing but the "superhero" saves every single person, but nobody wants to watch babies in peril. And I don't need a whole entire scene showing him save them all in the most ridiculous way possible). I just think if a tv show on The CW looks better than your 200 million dollar movie then there is a larger problem at play. And the scenes with Zod never looked that bad in previous DC films, so what exactly happened here? And the scene with him going through the different universes is rough - the quick shots of "other" superheroes like Nic Cage's Superman is the worst of the worst as far as fan service goes (it's actually worse than the female Avengers shot - and I didn't think it could get any worse than that!!). I'm also SHOCKED that they got George Clooney. SHOCKED!!! I figured they could get everyone else - I even expected Christian Bale over Clooney. 

2. How to Blow Up a Pipeline -
Well, this is one of those films that I read nothing but good reviews about, and I don't get it. It's soooo boring. It's touted as a "thriller", but there is absolutely nothing thrilling at all during its entire runtime. I think my biggest issue is that none of these actors are particularly engaging. I do tend to like Sasha Lane, and she is probably the highlight in this, but she doesn't really have much to do until the end. I've never seen Ariela Barer in anything before, and she is also strong in the more lead role, but the wigs they make her wear really distract from her performance (I'm not even sure if the shorter hair or the longer hair is the wig, or both? But the hair, in general, doesn't look like it matches her face). I can't stand Lukas Gage; I think he's a terrible actor and was BY FAR the worst performance in The White Lotus, but he's one of those "buzzy" new actors who everyone seems to be talking about. I think it's a strong story; especially in our current climate of protesters and strikes happening in the world. I think people forget that the whole point of these things is to cause an inconvenience and/or a disruption. And this is how we've secured so many rights for women, POC, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, etc. I think it's a lot harder to fight against large corporations such as oil conglomerates as opposed to the government (I'm not saying it's easy, obviously it's still a struggle, but ultimately the government, in theory, is run by people, while oil companies are run by money and greed), so the disruption has to be larger and have a harsher impact. So it's interesting to see this happen from the perspective of young people trying to make a positive change by using something that is, at first, perceived as negative. However, like I said, this cast is just so dull and there isn't much to the story. Perhaps with a different cast and a quicker pace, I would have enjoyed it more? 

3. To Catch a Killer -
I like this movie - it felt like a 90s thriller (especially with that poster!) and, for me, that's a good thing, but it also has more of a modern day gun violence topic that is relevant for today's audience. The fact that someone can set up camp and kill random people sharp-shooter style is such a terrifying thought, but obviously has happened with the Las Vegas mass shootings and the D.C snipers (which honestly feels like it happened 5 years ago - can't believe it's been like 20!). This film focuses on the more human aspect of the people responsible for catching these types of murderers - not only the stress, but the aftermath of failing, the guilt and responsibility of future deaths on their shoulders. It must be such a hard thing to experience, and definitely has a hold on ones mental health. It also focuses a little on the bureaucratic red tape that is often a detriment to solving crimes like this - there is so much pressure to just blame someone (anyone!) to appease the public, but it often allows for mistakes and further crimes. The way it's handled here sort of reminds me of the Boston Marathon bombings (wasn't someone else accused first? or am I thinking of the Atlanta Olympic games? There's just so many of these things now, it's exhausting and they are starting to blend together in my mind). Both Shailene Woodley and Ben Mendelsohn are really engaging and they both feel exhausted - they do such a good job of this realistic detective (as in they aren't superheroes; instead they are flawed and human). I didn't really need the scene in the slaughterhouse, but the end is really good and intense. 

4. Hypnotic -
*some slight spoilersSo, I think this a very average movie, but it has a killer ending. I rated it 2.5 stars, but it could easily be a 3 star movie (which means "good" to me! I don't know how suddenly 3 stars is a bad rating for a movie? Everyone is so hyperbolic nowadays and it's so fucking annoying), but it also would have been a 1.5 star movie if not for the end. This is the type of movie that I think Ben Affleck should start avoiding - he always seems so lifeless. He should stick to comedy (as an actor) or directing (I love all of his movies aside from Live By Night). If he was more engaging, I would have definitely rated this higher. The supporting cast is really strong though - JD Pardo is a favorite of mine (he's so hot in that Sons of Anarchy spinoff!) and I think Alice Braga should be a much bigger star than she currently is. I also had NO IDEA that Robert Rodriguez directed this until I started reading the (very funny) Letterboxd reviews. He's usually a director with style, but this movie has no idea what it wants to be (I think it's trying to be a gritty noir, but it has too many sci-fi elements to make that work. It also feels like a low budget Inception...). They also make it seem like people under this "hypnosis" are akin to zombies, which makes the whole thing really unbelievable. The plot is very elaborate, and some of it is obvious (his daughter is clearly of Hispanic descent so I instantly guessed that Braga was actually her mom. And while Pardo isn't the biggest name, he's still a strong enough actor to not be killed off in the beginning, so I assumed he was still alive). However, like I said, the twist is incredible and it makes the last 30 or so minutes so interesting. It's just a shame that the hour before it already felt like two. It's also INSANE that there is a mid-credits scene that sets up for a continuation or sequel because LOL - there is no way this is getting a sequel. 

5. The Little Mermaid (2023) -
While I still don't see the point of all these live-action Disney animated films, I do think this is definitely the best one so far. Halle Bailey is a STAR for sure. And she has a stunning voice. There was so much pressure on her, especially to sing one of the all-time great Disney songs, "Part of Your World", and she did a wonderful job of still feeling like the original but giving it her own little spin. I think she did a great job as Ariel, and that is coming from someone who holds the original film really close to her heart and sites Ariel as her favorite Disney "princess". I also think Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, is a clear highlight. She goes full camp, and it really works for me. But, I think the rest of the cast is a little rough. The guy who plays Prince Eric certainly looks the part, but he has, like, nothing behind his eyes. It would be fine, but I think this version tries to give him a little more substance and it just fails for me (ugh, he even gets his own song. Gross.). But, even worse, Awkwafina, as Scuttle, is truly one of the worst things I've ever witnessed. You may already know that I'm not a fan (I actually think she's a terrible actress), but we can all certainly agree that her voice is...the worst part about her...right???? RIGHT??? And the "Scuttlebutt" song is absolutely horrendous. There is also a scene in which Scuttle is under the water...talking. I understand that this is all make believe, but it should still stick to certain rules (like, fish and mermaids can talk underwater because that's where they live, sure, but a BIRD??). Also, it's quite weird that the STAR of one of the biggest Netflix series (Simone Ashley from Bridgerton) is in this and I don't even think she had any lines?? That's kind of embarrassing at this point in her career, no? I don't think I would have noticed the song lyric changes if I wasn't already aware of them (but it's still dumb...). I think my biggest problem with the movie, other than it being pointless, is that it just doesn't look very good in a lot of places. The beginning is very beautiful, but it also is soooo CGI heavy that it practically looks like animation (so again, the whole thing becomes pointless), and then there are certain scenes, like the "Kiss the Girl" scene that are very dark and grey because they take place at night and nobody knows how to shoot night scenes anymore because they all rely too much on CGI. But, I do have to admit, that I was entertained and if I were 10, I probably would be obsessed with it, so mission accomplished, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment