Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Emmy Nominations: The Good, The Bad, and The Snubbed

The Good: 

- HELLOOOO My number one favorite, Taron Egerton, now an EMMY NOMINEE for Black Bird!!! He absolutely deserves it for the 5th episode alone. Also thrilled about his nominated co-stars, Paul Walter Hauser and the late Ray Liotta. 

- My favorite acting performance of the year is probably from Dominique Fishback in Swarm. Just an incredible and super nuanced performance that only someone with actual acting talent can get right. 

- I'm not the biggest fan of Succession (EEEK!). It's a GOOD show, but the way everyone goes on about it and puts it up there with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos is just hard for me to wrap my head around. However, this year, I do think that both Sarah Snook and Kieran Culkin deserve the nominations (and even the win!) for their performances. Snook is absolutely brilliant in that 3rd episode. And Culkin has been the highlight for me since the beginning. 

- Yay for Niecy Nash!! I adore her and she definitely gave a memorable performance in Dahmer. I hope she wins it. 

- Jessica Williams is HILARIOUS in Shrinking. As much as I love Sheryl Lee Ralph in Abbott Elementary, I think I'm rooting for Williams. 

- Judith Light for that guest spot in Poker Face!!! She's absolutely brilliant (but so was S. Epatha Merkerson!). It's my favorite episode of that show by far. 

- So many of my favorites nominated - it's hard to list them all but some included are Natasha Lyonne, Jenna Ortega, Keri Russell, everyone from The Bear and Ted Lasso, the list goes on...

- Are we finally over the love for SNL? It hasn't been funny in decades and yet there's always cast members filling out the supporting categories in comedy. This year it seems only guests got in (one for Pedro Pascal! I'll allow it, even though every skit I watched was painful). 

The Bad: 

- While I think they did a really good job this year, there are a few shows that I think earn nominations simply because they are trendy and/or had great promotion and Daisy Jones and The Six is absolutely that show this year. Everything about it is actually terrible except maybe Camila Morrone (still not an Emmy worthy performance, but I like her a lot in this). 9 nominations for this series is truly ridiculous. 

- I knew the Television Academy would fall head over heals for Fleishman is in Trouble even though it's a load of misogynistic crap (my thoughts on it are on this blog if you're interested). Lizzy is fine, but Claire Danes crying is an awards trap and they fell right in. 

- They really need to do something about the categories because The Bear and Barry are not comedies. It's a disservice to the nominees to be up against actual funny performances. I think it's going to cause Sudeikis to take the win again - and I do love him in Ted Lasso, but Jeremy Allen White & Bill Hader are in harder roles and knocking it out of the park. 

- The Outstanding Supporting Drama performance categories are embarrassing. The Actor one is worse with literally only 2 shows represented (and most of those performances are mediocre, at best), but even the Actress one is very limited. The only performance worth noting in The White Lotus is Meghann Fahy. 

- The Limited Series Category is also terrible - Obvi, I hate Fleishman and Daisy Jones, but I like Beef (I will write my thoughts on it soon), and I also liked Dahmer. I watched Obi-Wan Kenobi and I don't remember a thing about it. HOWEVER, none of these shows should be nominated when you have shows like Black Bird, Dead Ringers, Five Days at Memorial, George & Tammy, Swarm etc. as competition. It's wild! 

- I'm sorry but the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is one of the worst final seasons of television ever. It ruined the entire show for me. Erase it off the list, now, please. 

- I think it was super egotistical of Brian Cox to submit himself in the Lead Actor category when he's only in the first 3 episodes of the season. The academy should have shut him out because of it and given the nod to an actual lead performance. 

- The love for The Last of Us *rolls eyes*

The Snubbed: 

- I can't believe I'm saying this but how did Harrison Ford not get a nomination for Shrinking? It should have also been nominated for Comedy Series (especially over Wednesday??? That's also not a comedy). 

- Rachel Weisz is incredible in Dead Ringers playing dual roles. You're telling me that Riley Keough singing (badly) and pretending to be high for 10 episodes is a better performance? (again, LOVE Riley, but this was bad casting).

- As happy as I am for the performance nods, Black Bird missed several nominations it should have gotten - not only for series, but for writing & directing (it did get one cinematography nod). 

- Vera Farmiga and Cherry Jones gave incredible performances in Five Days in Memorial. I'm really surprised that series was completely shut out. 

- Nobody watches it so it's no surprise that it was ignored, but one of the best shows on television is Apple TV+'s For All Mankind

No comments:

Post a Comment